Time to reassess Adrian Lam?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Euclid

Time to reassess Adrian Lam?

Post by Euclid »

Mr Lam seems to be doing very well at Leigh, as he has when working “down under”. There doesn’t seem much love for him for his time coaching Wigan though.
Was he a failure at Wigan or is that too harsh a judgment?
If he was a failure was that just him or did Wigan not do right by him?
I don’t know if he had any say in signing players from other clubs or not?
Or is it just that a good proportion of our fans are never happy, no matter what happens?
josie andrews

Re: Time to reassess Adrian Lam?

Post by josie andrews »

Euclid wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:53 am Mr Lam seems to be doing very well at Leigh, as he has when working “down under”. There doesn’t seem much love for him for his time coaching Wigan though.
Or is it just that a good proportion of our fans are never happy, no matter what happens?
I think a lot of it after his first season, where he got us to a Grand Final, was the Covid years! And the fact that he continued to (over)play our young lads, especially the forwards, when we had experience players not even selected to play!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Too much interference from Lenners and KR, Edwards knew the score.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Euclid wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:53 am Mr Lam seems to be doing very well at Leigh, as he has when working “down under”. There doesn’t seem much love for him for his time coaching Wigan though.
Is he doing any better than he did for Wigan yet? Didn't he get us our longest run of wins at the start of a season his first year?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Unquestionably, there is a different feel about the club now under Peet but to be fair to Lam, coaching a team through the height of the pandemic was quite a challenge. Despite this, he was seconds away from us winning the Grand Final in 2020 and in 2021, he was effectively without French, Field and Marshall for the season, was reliant on "mercurial" talents such as Hardaker and Hastings and on top of that we played more games than anyone else (four more than champions St Helens in the regular season if I recall correctly).

I wasn't in favour of keeping him on, but he came in with a difficult brief which became way way more difficult as his tenure went on and though he is being financially backed at Leigh, he can clearly coach and motivate so we should cut him some slack and history will probably be kinder to him when his tenure is looked back on.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:01 pm Unquestionably, there is a different feel about the club now under Peet but to be fair to Lam, coaching a team through the height of the pandemic was quite a challenge. Despite this, he was seconds away from us winning the Grand Final in 2020 and in 2021, he was effectively without French, Field and Marshall for the season, was reliant on "mercurial" talents such as Hardaker and Hastings and on top of that we played more games than anyone else (four more than champions St Helens in the regular season if I recall correctly).

I wasn't in favour of keeping him on, but he came in with a difficult brief which became way way more difficult as his tenure went on and though he is being financially backed at Leigh, he can clearly coach and motivate so we should cut him some slack and history will probably be kinder to him when his tenure is looked back on.
Yes you’re right, we never used the pandemic, ’the Covid card’ to miss games as Saints & Leeds did🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Personally I feel it was a little harsh on Lam. Covid floored all the finances (understandable) and he didn’t quite get the backing he would have wanted. Assistant coach to Australia and flying at Leigh, he’s doing pretty good…
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

To be fair lammy was hampered by injuries to bevan and jai in his second season.Im sure both of them along with smith and hastings would have made a massive difference.Hes doing very well at leigh and credit were its due although they have been very very lucky with suspensions and injuries up to now.Ive got a feeling they are going to burn out as the season progresses though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

DaiJones wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:01 pm Unquestionably, there is a different feel about the club now under Peet but to be fair to Lam, coaching a team through the height of the pandemic was quite a challenge. Despite this, he was seconds away from us winning the Grand Final in 2020 and in 2021, he was effectively without French, Field and Marshall for the season, was reliant on "mercurial" talents such as Hardaker and Hastings and on top of that we played more games than anyone else (four more than champions St Helens in the regular season if I recall correctly).

Excellent reprise from diajones
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

archiekeith wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:35 am

Excellent reprise from diajones
And we have benefitted from the young forwards development in the longer run...whilst Lammy took the hit for flogging them. Probably he has learned from that himself?