The legendary NRL coach who is now a quadriplegic after sickening accident while bodysurfing at a Central Coast beach: '

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

The legendary NRL coach who is now a quadriplegic after sickening accident while bodysurfing at a Central Coast beach: '

Post by josie andrews »

Daniel Anderson is a paraplegic after horror surf accident

Ex-NRL coach is now rebuilding his life and body

Anderson is still working for Roosters while in rehab

Former NRL coach Daniel Anderson has spoken out for the first time after being involved in a freak bodysurfing accident that almost killed him.

The ex-New Zealand Warriors and Parramatta Eels boss was body surfing at Soldiers Beach near Norah Head while on a family vacation when out of nowhere disaster struck.

The 56-year-old was dumped on his head by a wave and suffered a catastrophic spinal injury.

He quickly went into a cardiac arrest and had to be dragged out of the surf semi-conscious.

The father of four was fortunate that a couple of off-duty paramedics happened to be on the beach that day - and quickly got him airlifted to the spinal unit at Royal North Shore hospital.

Anderson says he's lucky to be alive, and doesn't remember the accident at all.

'I was dragged from the water unresponsive and then went into cardiac arrest,' Anderson told News Corp.

I'm very lucky the paramedics were there. I was obviously in a bad way. If they weren't there, who knows how it would have finished up.'

Later it was revealed that Anderson had severe compression of the spinal cord.

'I was classified as an incomplete quadriplegic,' Anderson said. 'Incomplete means that you can get little bits back, but some things you never can.

'No one can tell you categorically what, if any movement you get back. But after four days I was wiggling my big toe.

'Right now I need assistance with everything, brushing my teeth, feeding, bathing, having a coffee.

'I've got slight movement in my right hand. Just enough to softly shake hands.

'Three weeks ago I couldn't do that. It's progress.

Anderson, who coached the Warriors and the Eels to NRL grand finals, says the first few weeks were really tough for him and his family.

'You can't equate this predicament to the pressures of coaching. But the mental strength you've got to have in tough times in football helps,' he said.

'This is much tougher. But you've got to grab hold of the situation. You've got to try to move forward and take one challenge at a time.'

Anderson is now training in the gym for two hours a day - trying to learn how to use his muscles again and do simple tasks.

His aim is to be back at home with his family in eight weeks.

Unbelievably, Anderson is still working for the Sydney Roosters as head of recruitment - putting in about 10 hours a week from the rehab centre.

'I'm still talking to the player agents and Robbo wants me back in the office,' he said.

'I love the job and they've been a wonderful support.'

Anderson is careful about not pushing himself too hard, though. He knows that some things take time.

'It's important I don't overdo it and keep focusing on my physical recovery,' he said.

'The Roosters are so good in that area, knowing I have to get myself healthier.

'I just know I've still got a bit of life left in me in rugby league.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/a ... beach.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: The legendary NRL coach who is now a quadriplegic after sickening accident while bodysurfing at a Central Coast beac

Post by josie andrews »

Sad news, poor guy, but what a great coach.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Re: The legendary NRL coach who is now a quadriplegic after sickening accident while bodysurfing at a Central Coast beac

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Yes sad. Great coach. The flicker of hope is he is getting some improvement. Hope that it continues for him.🤞