Castleford Tigers hit potential stumbling block in SL stadium redevelopment

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Castleford Tigers hit potential stumbling block in SL stadium redevelopment

Post by josie andrews »

CASTLEFORD TIGERS have hit a minor stumbling block in their quest to redevelop their Super League stadium.

With the West Yorkshire club fully focused on redeveloping The Jungle instead of moving to a new site at Junction 32, planning proposal for the redevelopment was submitted to Wakefield Council in May.

Together the two planning applications will provide, according to the Tigers:

On the Wakefield Council website the application for the redevelopment states exactly what is included in the redevelopment:

– “Full planning application for the redevelopment of existing stadium comprising demolition of existing main (east) stand and replacement with new all-seater stand with associated corporate hospitality and entertainment facilities

– “A new gym, club management facilities and offices, refurbished high ball skills and wrestling facility

– “Provision of fan zone

- Installation of 4G training pitch with floodlighting, resurfacing of car park and circulation areas

– “Selected refurbishment of Railway End (south stand) and refurbishment of Princess Street (west) and Wheldon Road (north) stands including replacement cladding and associated infrastructure, drainage, landscaping and engineering works.”

However, following a scan of the plans, the Environment Agency has objected to such plans. They said: “In the absence of an acceptable flood risk assessment (FRA) we maintain our objection to this application and recommend that planning permission is refused.”

The EA has objected despite the previous response by planners to alleviate such concerns of the Agency.

Although, on the face of it, this objection seems detrimental to Castleford’s plans, it is merely a recommendation by the Environment Agency and is not an actual rejection by Wakefield Council.

That being said, a rejection by the EA does not exactly look good and more communication will be needed in order to gain the Agency’s support. People can view the objection in full here.

In May, the Castleford club had said this about the stadium:

We are now just waiting for a date for the stadium development to go before the planning committee.

“We would urge anyone who hasn’t yet supported the stadium redevelopment and Axiom site to please do so, the support of the Castleford fans and the wider Castleford community will be a major factor in us gaining planning permission.

“As always, we thank you for your tremendous, loyal support.”

https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/onlin ... ab=summary

https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/onlin ... ab=summary

https://www.totalrl.com/castleford-tige ... velopment/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Castleford Tigers hit potential stumbling block in SL stadium redevelopment

Post by josie andrews »

Oh dear me! We’ve heard it all before! And so it goes on 🤨

There is a letter in the from the Environment Agency in the main link.

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:03 am Oh dear me! We’ve heard it all before! And so it goes on 🤨

There is a letter in the from the Environment Agency in the main link.

Surprise, surprise, NOT.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Really hope Wakefield get on a winning streak and Cas go down, Cas just don't care, at least Wakefield are finally trying to get their act together stadium wise
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Watching on the telly (I've never been there), I thought Fev's ground looked better than either of them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:15 pm Watching on the telly (I've never been there), I thought Fev's ground looked better than either of them.
Fev’s ground is just as bad. The last time we went & played them in a Challenge Cup round a few years ago the toilets were portaloos, parking was on a muddy field where almost everyone got stuck. No cover again for away supporters & the amenities where abysmal.

Houses all along one side overlooking the ground have people on the roof watching the game.

No thank you very much!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

It was even worse before the stand burned down in the late 80s
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:36 pm It was even worse before the stand burned down in the late 80s
Oh I know but it’s not much better, it’s like going back in time!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I will dust off my annual “I never saw it coming” post that I trot out when they hit yet another stumbling block
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:59 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:36 pm It was even worse before the stand burned down in the late 80s
Oh I know but it’s not much better, it’s like going back in time!
that whole area is like going back to the 70s, but without the pits, and i just dont think they have moved forward since