Wakefield Trinity takeover talks hit new landmark as completion draws closer

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wakefield Trinity takeover talks hit new landmark as completion draws closer

Post by josie andrews »

Talks are quickly progressing regarding a takeover of the Super League club.

Wakefield Trinity's proposed takeover has taken a significant step forward after terms were agreed with the prospective new owners of the club. Rugby League Live understands the agreement has been reached which will now see due diligence commence.

And it is hoped that a deal could be wrapped up within the next four weeks, which would see the club embark on a new era off the field at a time when they face a crucial period on it.

When contacted for comment, Wakefield CEO, Michael Carter, told Rugby League Live: "Whilst I can confirm that the club have had two separate approaches regarding taking over the club, I cannot go into any specific detail at this stage.

"What I would re-iterate is that the current shareholders are united that should a person or persons wish to take over the club and can demonstrate that they are capable of taking it on to bigger and better things, then the shareholders would not stand in the way, nor would they seek any form of payment for shares, or any repayment of the substantial director loans they currently hold.

"There is also no desire to hold on to the new Community Stadium that the shareholders have finally managed to deliver after ten years of hard work, contrary to the malicious rumours that are currently circulating."

Wakefield are currently bottom of Super League after losing their first 13 games of the season. In August, the club's new stand is set to be completed which is expected to generate substantial revenue for the club, while the new hybrid pitch installed will provide the club with another income stream. Collectively, it is hoped the revenue generated will allow the club to spend more money in the future.

In May, Carter told Sky Sports: "We need to earn money out of this pitch, we've forecast to earn £100,000 a year out of this pitch, our forecast to earn out of that (the new stand) is £500,000 a year. That would fuel us to spend up to salary cap and that's always been the ultimate aim. We are where we are, we're fighting like hell to stay up but we have got plans in place if the worst happens, we do bounce back."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... t-27062796
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Wakefield Trinity takeover talks hit new landmark as completion draws closer

Post by the pieman »

it does make you wonder how some clubs have managed to mis-manage the salary cap, especially when the Sky TV deal paid the SL clubs up to the value of the cap

it just shows how lazy (not just Wakey) clubs have been in terms of marketing themselves and trying to attract / retain fans. The money was there to pay up to the salary cap, but they chose to retain some of that and become lazy in most areas and its now biting some of them on their arses

much as i think DB at Leigh is a tool at times, i cant knock him for the way he has tried to promote the Leigh games this year. He's put his money where his mouth is, had some good entertainment on and off the pitch and been rewarded with some fantastic attendances at LSV
fozzieskem

Re: Wakefield Trinity takeover talks hit new landmark as completion draws closer

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 pm it does make you wonder how some clubs have managed to mis-manage the salary cap, especially when the Sky TV deal paid the SL clubs up to the value of the cap

it just shows how lazy (not just Wakey) clubs have been in terms of marketing themselves and trying to attract / retain fans. The money was there to pay up to the salary cap, but they chose to retain some of that and become lazy in most areas and its now biting some of them on their arses

much as i think DB at Leigh is a tool at times, i cant knock him for the way he has tried to promote the Leigh games this year. He's put his money where his mouth is, had some good entertainment on and off the pitch and been rewarded with some fantastic attendances at LSV
Have to agree with you over all of that to be honest,as for big Derek you I'm glad it's working out for him,this time he's done it right backed his coach to the hilt and its paying off my leigh supporting nephew who's there through good times and bad is having a ball at the moment,it's great to see.

As for wakey..its just a mess
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

How can a pitch earn £100,000 per year & a stand £500,000??🤔🤔
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 pm How can a pitch earn £100,000 per year & a stand £500,000??🤔🤔
Five a side and weddings? :shock:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:50 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:48 pm How can a pitch earn £100,000 per year & a stand £500,000??🤔🤔
Five a side and weddings? :shock:
😂😂
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

While I was living in Chiswick (until November 2022) the local RU club put forward a business plan to the RFU and had a plastic pitch installed at the RFU’s expense. The RFU use revenue from internationals for this purpose.
As a result they were able to use the pitch 7/7 and had local schools, colleges/ universities using it daily. The two local RL clubs were approached to use the facilities but declined the offer.
The extra monies earned paid for state of the art floodlights which made the pitch available during the hours of darkness, earning more cash.
Before long the pitch was being used for all age groups, 5 a side football, and a number of different sporting and social events, particularly for schools.
The revenue raised will pay for a new clubhouse, which will be able to hold larger (and more profitable) social events.
Hopefully Wakefield will be able to do something similar.
Just in case there are any class warriors reading this, I must point out that the club is run by a taxi driver and a bus driver, without assistance from any hooray Henries.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Euclid wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:44 am

While I was living in Chiswick (until November 2022) the local RU club put forward a business plan to the RFU and had a plastic pitch installed at the RFU’s expense. The RFU use revenue from internationals for this purpose.
As a result they were able to use the pitch 7/7 and had local schools, colleges/ universities using it daily. The two local RL clubs were approached to use the facilities but declined the offer.
The extra monies earned paid for state of the art floodlights which made the pitch available during the hours of darkness, earning more cash.
Before long the pitch was being used for all age groups, 5 a side football, and a number of different sporting and social events, particularly for schools.
The revenue raised will pay for a new clubhouse, which will be able to hold larger (and more profitable) social events.
Just in case there are any class warriors reading this, I must point out that the club is run by a taxi driver and a bus driver, without assistance from any hooray Henries.
The 5g pitches cause a lot of cuts & bad grazes. Even our pitch, which has some artificial plastic in had several of our lads with bad cuts on their legs at the start of the season& didn’t Catalan have several players with cuts from the Wakefield pitch that required antibiotics. There was a big hoohah about their pitch IIRC 🤔
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:00 pm
Euclid wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:44 am

The 5g pitches cause a lot of cuts & bad grazes. Even our pitch, which has some artificial plastic in had several of our lads with bad cuts on their legs at the start of the season& didn’t Catalan have several players with cuts from the Wakefield pitch that required antibiotics. There was a big hoohah about their pitch IIRC 🤔
i think being fair to Wakey (not often i'll say that :) ), it was because they left it so late to lay the pitch, and thus the 1st couple of games did lead to lots of cuts. There hasnt been anywhere near as much noise since they almost had a game postponed v Hudds i think it was

no doubt there are pro's and con's of this type of pitch. the main pro, being it can be played on virtually 24 * 7, so no need to maintain it in the same way as a traditional grass pitch. No need to stop a team from playing on it every May - June, so it can be relaid, plus i do agree that it will be a money spinner for them if they can get it utilised 7 days a week. Some very crude maths (£40 per hour * 12 hours per day is over £175k) with little or no maintenance, so i think that the estimates could have been on the conservative side, but they need to have the demand to reap the rewards so to speak

in terms of cons, it would be the potential injuries to players, and if you think back to when we played Widnes regularly, we would rest certain players to protect them from injury on the pitch
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

No problems thus far on Chiswick’s pitch, from the fattest prop to the daintiest juvenile winger