Leigh Leopards owner Derek Beaumont wants to see major Super League Magic Weekend changes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leigh Leopards owner Derek Beaumont wants to see major Super League Magic Weekend changes

Post by josie andrews »

The event took place at Newcastle United’s St James’ Park over the weekend with the concept proving a big hit with fans over the years, ever since it was created back in 2007.

However, there have been murmurings that the Magic Weekend could well be scrapped in the near future as new stakeholders IMG look to ‘re-imagine’ rugby league.

For Leigh owner Beaumont, he wants to see major changes to the event.

“For me, you fix that up. I don’t think you ditch the event. I think you fix it up,” Beaumont said on BBC Radio Manchester.

“The other fundamental problem is, you excuse the league. You would have thought we’d be closest to Wakefield being a promoted team and now that doesn’t look really fair.

“Then you’ve got Wigan playing Catalans, who are both sat above us two points ahead, it could go either way so that’s another issue with it.

For me, you make it a separate event, whether it’s nines, and you make it a competition that has a winner over the two days in the end, and everybody plays multiple games. So there’s a reason to be in there. There’s a reason to have a carnival atmosphere.”

Beaumont went further, calling for prize money to be awarded to the successful team.

“There’s a reason to have entertainment like what we put on in the Leopard’s Den and on the second day there’s a prize money for it. So it’s an event you all need to be in there.

“It’s not skipping the league. You can still have the positives of the kit and the week ahead of the way. And somebody wins something, so there’s another opportunity for an overly different club to get their hands on some silverware. So that’s what I would be doing if it was in my hands.”

For me, you make it a separate event, whether it’s nines, and you make it a competition that has a winner over the two days in the end, and everybody plays multiple games. So there’s a reason to be in there. There’s a reason to have a carnival atmosphere.”

Beaumont went further, calling for prize money to be awarded to the successful team.

“There’s a reason to have entertainment like what we put on in the Leopard’s Den and on the second day there’s a prize money for it. So it’s an event you all need to be in there.

“It’s not skipping the league. You can still have the positives of the kit and the week ahead of the way. And somebody wins something, so there’s another opportunity for an overly different club to get their hands on some silverware. So that’s what I would be doing if it was in my hands.”

https://www.totalrl.com/leigh-leopards- ... d-changes/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Leigh Leopards owner Derek Beaumont wants to see major Super League Magic Weekend changes

Post by medlocke »

7s or 9s would be good, could even add the top 8 Championship clubs so you've got 20 clubs to start with and it would bring in extra fans
Firestarter

Re: Leigh Leopards owner Derek Beaumont wants to see major Super League Magic Weekend changes

Post by Firestarter »

Not seeing it myself….the last time we did the british coal nines its was pretty boring tbh
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Don’t understand the obsessions with nines I found it utterly tedious and do we really another comp on top of what we already have?

The magic is fine as it is I’ll grant you the fixtures didn’t look appealing but they where for most part pretty good but IMG seem to have made their minds up that it will go for whatever reason and that by doing this rescuer the challenge cup final as we will all go back down there which to me is utter nonsense
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Defiantly won't be going again if it becomes a nines competition, I only want to watch the full 13-a-side game.
Not too sure how they change the fixtures to satisfy everyone, there will always be someone who will object to derby games, or perceived easier games.
It needs a hell of a lot more advertising and promotion of the event, to get more fans to turn up.
The other problem is that there are far too many fans only interested in watching their own team and disappear once their team has played.
Having been to the last 4 Newcastle Magic Weekends and watched all of the games, I hope that it continues, it is a great event and city, despite Wigan not winning for ages.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Might as well get rid of IMG and just carry on as we are, with a bit of luck the professional game will be dead in less than 5 years with no tv coverage what so ever, you can't beat that good old m62 corridor flat cap mentality.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

The Aussies have taken our Magic Weekend concept and made it work, so why can't we?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 pm The Aussies have taken our Magic Weekend concept and made it work, so why can't we?
The Aussies took our sport and made it work, so why can't we?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:45 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 pm The Aussies have taken our Magic Weekend concept and made it work, so why can't we?
The Aussies took our sport and made it work, so why can't we?
Touché 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:31 pm Might as well get rid of IMG and just carry on as we are, with a bit of luck the professional game will be dead in less than 5 years with no tv coverage what so ever, you can't beat that good old m62 corridor flat cap mentality.
I’ve not seen a single new idea from them so far,other than the ludicrous idea to get rid of the magic weekend