Super League Grand Final move to the Etihad Stadium potentially on the table

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League Grand Final move to the Etihad Stadium potentially on the table

Post by josie andrews »

COULD the Super League Grand Final be moved to the Etihad Stadium in 2025?

Manchester United’s Old Trafford has held the showpiece event ever since 1998, but with crowd figures waning, there has been talk about potentially moving at the end of the current deal.

Managing Director of Rugby League Commercial, Rhodri Jones, has revealed that, because of their location on the Etihad campus, chats have been held about potential events at Manchester City’s stadium – whether that be the Grand Final, the Magic Weekend or a separate event.

It is something we are looking at. Our contract (with Old Trafford) runs to the end of 2024,” Jones said on the BBC 5 Live podcast.

“There are clearly ownership changes afoot there and potentially with the stadium development too. The contract at the moment does talk about stadium developments.

“We have a level of comfort that if anything was to happen in the next 18 months that we are safe and covered and can stay there.

“But again, just because we’ve done it for the last 25 years doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for us now.”

“It is something we are looking at. Our contract (with Old Trafford) runs to the end of 2024,” Jones said on the BBC 5 Live podcast.

“There are clearly ownership changes afoot there and potentially with the stadium development too. The contract at the moment does talk about stadium developments.

“We have a level of comfort that if anything was to happen in the next 18 months that we are safe and covered and can stay there.

“But again, just because we’ve done it for the last 25 years doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for us now.”

Jones believes that the Etihad Stadium’s modernity helps tick the boxes in its favour.

“There is a stadium across the city which you would argue is a bit more modern and a bit more spectator-friendly,” Jones continued.

“The fact that we are based at the Etihad Stadium, we have dialogue with them but it’s not just the Grand Final we talk to them about.

“We talk to them about all sorts of things, including a potential Magic Weekend and a potential new event just to see if there is interest for them to host a rugby league event.

We will see where we go on the Grand Final.”

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-gr ... the-table/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Super League Grand Final move to the Etihad Stadium potentially on the table

Post by moto748 »

Etihad >> OT. At least at the Etihad you get proper in-goals. And a more modern stadium. Access prob better at OT, though.
the pieman

Re: Super League Grand Final move to the Etihad Stadium potentially on the table

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:37 pm Etihad >> OT. At least at the Etihad you get proper in-goals. And a more modern stadium. Access prob better at OT, though.
I agree re Stadium being more modern and onsite facilities are better. I drove past last weekend early Sat morning, and they were already staffed up to get people onto the car parks for the Coldplay concert that was on that evening, but i dont see much around there (in terms of pubs / bars that you would go to hours before a game), other than what has been developed for the Commonwealth games and subsequently investment by City. i'd say the majority would spend the day in the city centre and then catch the tram / walk out to the stadium

I worked about a mile up the road for a few years, and think access would actually be ok. There are a couple of major roads heading out towards the M60 if heading back to Yorkshire, and if i was driving i'd probably go that way just because i know the area quite well. I think the general issue for most Wigan / Saints / Wire fans if we were to get to the final is that we are heading back into Manchester city centre, so likely to get a bit bottle necked. Its well connected with trams too, so pretty sure adding a couple extra would get most of us back into the city centre to one of main stations pretty quickly

i'd be all for it, even if they just tried if for a couple of years if OT gets some redevelopment.
doc

Post by doc »

I enjoyed the magic weekend they had at the Etihad so a change would be nice if the planned OT redevelopment goes ahead.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Little doubt the etihad is the more modern stadium but I'm sure I read they're looking to expand that one too
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:38 pm Little doubt the etihad is the more modern stadium but I'm sure I read they're looking to expand that one too
You are correct but I can’t understand why, City struggle to fill it as it is.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:16 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:38 pm Little doubt the etihad is the more modern stadium but I'm sure I read they're looking to expand that one too
There is a massive demand for musical and other events, particularly since Covid. Some sporting clubs know that you have to use your stadium more than once a week, some don’t.
I went to Arsenal’s new ground for a couple of conferences, and the facilities were superb. Spoke to officials there who told me their investment was already paying them back handsomely.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

That would mean you could have a drink at your seat too, i get that its not in everyones priority list but has always irked me about old trafford as it forces everyone into a bottle neck and downing your drink at half time
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Euclid wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:14 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:16 am
There is a massive demand for musical and other events, particularly since Covid. Some sporting clubs know that you have to use your stadium more than once a week, some don’t.
I went to Arsenal’s new ground for a couple of conferences, and the facilities were superb. Spoke to officials there who told me their investment was already paying them back handsomely.
Seen Bruce and Springsteen and Taylor Swift at the etihad both great shows at a great venue seen Billy Joel at Old Trafford and that felt like a show in an old.football stadium and post covid the times I've been it feels.and looks.it age tbh