Snake Helens success?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan Watcher

Snake Helens success?

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Snake Helens success

After watching Snakes over the last few years I noticed their success for scoring tries and winning matches has been based around one simple game plan. Namely the kick to the try line, they have won game after game, even winning two challenge cup finals with this method.

As far as entertainment is concerned it looked very poor, with very few great tries being scored.

Would we want success using this method or not, personally I think I would take the try and the win if it meant success, what do you think?

cpwigan

Re: Snake Helens success?

Post by cpwigan »

St Helens have used a strong kicking game BUT they have also scored some excellent tries. To say otherwise would be churlish given the skill displayed by Lyon.

The most blatant gamesmanship employed by Saints is that once they run up a significant lead they will happily concede penalties a plenty rather than tries.

Saints were the best team in 2006. I want Wigan to be the best in 2007 and beyond.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

St Helens have had success in recent years because they have developed a good team over a number of seasons. St Helens started off with the basis of a squad and every season have added to that squad and not just added to the squad but added players who benefit the squad. I can't think of a player that St Helens have bought that hasn't fitted in, they have a very good policy when recruiting players, they look for player who will fit into the team rather than players who play well.

Wigan in recent years have bought good player but not necessarily players who will play well together, the best example being Moran and Orr both very good players but in the same team they are too similar in style and it was never going to work compared to Long and Pryce who compliment each others playing style well.

St Helens will continue to be a very good side until some of the established players in the squad leave or retire, then they might suffer a slight dip like Manchester United did in football.

The future for Wigan does not look good if they keep up the policy of changing the squad every year. Nobles idea of a 3 year plan of building a nucleus of players to build the squad around is a good idea, but they still need to make sure that the players coming in actually fit into the squad. Wigan need to get rid of some of the 'dead weight' in the Wigan squad, players who are just eating up wages and not really offering anything to the squad and then bringing in or developing players who fit into the squad well.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Personally I believe Saints have peaked and will decline after 2007. Long and Cunnigham have little time left. Likewise Sculthorpe, Hooper and a few others.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I hate them me soooooo bad. I wish i could play against them and end longys carrer :angry:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Oh dear :(
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

cpwigan posted:
Personally I believe Saints have peaked and will decline after 2007. Long and Cunnigham have little time left. Likewise Sculthorpe, Hooper and a few others.

We can but hope. :roll:
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

cpwigan posted:

We can but hope. :roll:
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Bear posted:
I hate them me soooooo bad. I wish i could play against them and end longys carrer :angry:
Moron.
Bear

Post by Bear »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Bear posted:
Moron.
Whos the moron?
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!