Full Time Referees

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
turf

Re: FINALLY WE KNOW......

Post by turf »

According to the RFL site, for our friendly on Sunday, we have the ever incompetent Phil Bentham - Oh please (!)

As robjoenz has just said we had Ben Thaler against Hull on the last game of last season, and I have got to admit that for a rookie referee he had an excellent game.

By the way, I know it's only friendlies but why have Saints got Ganson when he himself is from Saints?!?!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

turf posted:
By the way, I know it's only friendlies but why have Saints got Ganson when he himself is from Saints?!?!
Because it doesn't really matter, the only reason it matters in SL is so that there can be no accusations made. Referees are a lot more objective than general fans (that's what I've found anyway since starting to referee).

I've refereed my home towm team twice, once in a Friendly and once in a competitive game. I had no complaints on either occassion.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I cannot see it making much difference. Some of those awarded full time status are too old for the bemnefits to be that great to the game. They would have been better taking younger referees and developing those.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I cannot see it making much difference. Some of those awarded full time status are too old for the bemnefits to be that great to the game. They would have been better taking younger referees and developing those.
The younger referees won't have the experience required though. All of the fulltime referees act as mentor for younger referees in order to develop them. The likes of Steve Ganson, Karl Kirkpatrick and Ian Smith are a lot fitter than you might think.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What is the retirement age for a ref though Rob?

45 or 50?

BTW How old is Colin Morris? seems to have been around forever.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:

45 or 50?

I don't know that there is a retirement age. Steve Wright (SL TJ) is probably in his 50s. He's still fit though.

I expect Colin Morris is only early to mid 40s. He was at the fitness test on Tuesday at Robin Park, nobody did badly really.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

robjoenz posted:
cpwigan posted:

45 or 50?

I don't know that there is a retirement age. Steve Wright (SL TJ) is probably in his 50s. He's still fit though.

I expect Colin Morris is only early to mid 40s. He was at the fitness test on Tuesday at Robin Park, nobody did badly really.
except you rob :lol: saw you drinking all that diet stuff on tuesday :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

mike binder posted:
robjoenz posted:
cpwigan posted:

45 or 50?

I was knackered, I'd just done my fitness test.

Drink's bad for you anyway, Mike, that alcohol does you no good!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

robjoenz posted:
mike binder posted:
robjoenz posted: I don't know that there is a retirement age. Steve Wright (SL TJ) is probably in his 50s. He's still fit though.

I was knackered, I'd just done my fitness test.

Drink's bad for you anyway, Mike, that alcohol does you no good!
helps me sleep well lol
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I bet Rob would never handle a brawl as well as Colin Morris :lol: one of the funniest moments I have ever seen is Morris jumping on the backs of Edward brawling with Goulding (Leeds) at a scrum. Absolutely hilarious. :D

My other favourite ref moment is gene miles knocking Robin Whitfield on his backside whilst scoring a try at Burnden Park v Bradford.

Question. If Ganson is fit why does he look so god damn unfit :eh: