A question

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

A question

Post by cpwigan »

I was reading an interview by Nobby re GB halfbacks and he was quoted as saying we would fare better with 2 halfbacks that play at the defensive line rather than through it. :conf:

Can anybody explain what he means?

To me playing at the line means the halfbacks go to the defence and pass close to the defenders. Often called flat attack and something Brett Kimmorley is noted for. Now the only alternative I know is attacking in front of the defence which is passing a few metres before the defence and running onto passes from deep.
damien morrissey

Re: A question

Post by damien morrissey »

cpwigan posted:
I was reading an interview by Nobby re GB halfbacks and he was quoted as saying we would fare better with 2 halfbacks that play at the defensive line rather than through it. :conf:

My understanding of this is that with one line breaking halfback and one passing halfback we will be to easily managed. Watching Trent play in the NRL coverage he is more than competent at splitting the defenses steps from the line and if Tommy can do the same we may open the defense better. The deep line i understand to be a deeper line setting in attack giving the halfback more options but also more time for the opposition to set the defense.

But hey thats only my opinion
superleague

Post by superleague »

i would of thought the same CP, if its not that then not sure :conf:
southstander

Post by southstander »

Does it not mean playing at the line, as you said using the flat attack and playing the through line meaning going by themselves all the time?
'thats not a try thats a miracle!'
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure :D

It was in one of the RL newpapers. Quite interesting giving some info on some of Nobbys thoughts as to how GB need to go forward. He did say they needed to look at the character of players more when selecting them which was quite interesting.

Good interview with nobby in RLW too this month.
bertina

Post by bertina »

cpwigan posted:

To me playing at the line means the halfbacks go to the defence and pass close to the defenders. Often called flat attack and something Brett Kimmorley is noted for. Now the only alternative I know is attacking in front of the defence which is passing a few metres before the defence and running onto passes from deep.
Correct. Playing at the line needs a half back who will draw the defence right on and then find a gap to put someone through.This means the half back needs to be brave enough to take the knocks that often comes their way adopting this method.Played by a half back with a big heart and a sharp eye this is very difficult to defend against.
Andy Gregory was an absolute master at this art.