ref

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: ref

Post by cpwigan »

Exactly Damian. My point from the start was if you do not run towards the kicker with your arms above your head in charge down mode then your attacking the kicker and are sent off. Now how difficult would that be for fans / players and even referees to understand

Whatsmore, referees are let down by the judiciary. They seem oblivious to it :conf: A strong consistent judiciary would make the referees job much easier. However, can you imagine PC chaps like Cummings daring to attack the RFL
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oh Rob it is simple, great attack = as many players making themselves available for the ball as you possibly can. Yes defenders have to guess that is the whole point. Whatsmore, they cannot gang tackle the ball carrier as readily so we get offloads, we get faster play of the balls, we get excitement.

Poor attack = 1 man charges whilst the rest of the team have a breather. The ball carrier re-enacts the Battle of the Somme and gets mowed down by 4 defenders. The game becomes slower because gang tackling does just that, it slows the game right down.

Please enlighten us as to what this British way that Cummings refers to is?

For those who know their RL, as I see it if you have 2 attackers running at the defender then they must run close together to give the defender a dilemna. With the new edict as far as I can see the one running the over line must always be the decoy and the one running the under line must take the pass. That is a fundamental shift in RL as it has been known for as long as I have been watching.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

damien morrissey posted:
If he touches the player he is off. It is a fast paced game but it takes out this wishy washy did he mean to give the kicker concusion in a head high tackle or did he just mean to flatten him in a late but legit tackle.
It may even make the game more interesting if you cant tackle the kicker then you create an edge in attack.
I still dont understand why under the rule you have stated Wilikin was right to get a sin bin not a red. He hit the player late whether he intended it or not those are the facts. If the intentional challenge on a kicker is high, it's a red card.
"If the intentional challenge on a kicker is high, it's a red card."
Wilkin might not of intended to be high but he was red card.
OR NOT.
If ANY challenge on a kicker became an instant red you'd get some very upset players, coaches and fans. Some aren't malicious so it wouldn't be fair to send a player off, however, a sin-bin would be sufficient.

I bet if the RFL adopted the extreme you and CP are suggesting that there'd be even more complaints as soon as a Wigan half-back bumps into a kicker and goes for an early bath.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Oh Rob it is simple, great attack = as many players making themselves available for the ball as you possibly can. Yes defenders have to guess that is the whole point. Whatsmore, they cannot gang tackle the ball carrier as readily so we get offloads, we get faster play of the balls, we get excitement.

Poor attack = 1 man charges whilst the rest of the team have a breather. The ball carrier re-enacts the Battle of the Somme and gets mowed down by 4 defenders. The game becomes slower because gang tackling does just that, it slows the game right down.

Please enlighten us as to what this British way that Cummings refers to is?

For those who know their RL, as I see it if you have 2 attackers running at the defender then they must run close together to give the defender a dilemna. With the new edict as far as I can see the one running the over line must always be the decoy and the one running the under line must take the pass. That is a fundamental shift in RL as it has been known for as long as I have been watching.
There is a difference between obstruction and dummy running though. A lot of players will run for a gap whereas some players run for a defender (Union style) with the intention of preventing a tackle from taking place.

I think what they are trying to get rid of is two players running close enough together at a line that when the ball goes behind the first runner he interferes with the tackler of the second runner. Last Sunday the whistle seemed to go as soon as the situation arose rather than seeing if the tackle was able to be made.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

The referees will be wearing their new kits tonight. Now some referees have become professional the RFL decided to design a kit to suit the new professional referees.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I particularly like the new whistle!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
right cross

Post by right cross »

adrenalinxx, thats brilliant :lol: hope he wears it?as klien got one to :lol: :lol: