The quick tap from the 20

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

The quick tap from the 20

Post by cpwigan »

It is always easier to improve defence so we need as a sport to keep as many attacking options open as we possibly can. The quick tap is an exciting aspect of the game so why not either;

Allow the tap from anywhere on the 20 line

or

Add a 20 tap spot (al a the penalty spot in football)
Matthew

Re: The quick tap from the 20

Post by Matthew »

From watching the quins salford game on Saturday on Sky - several times the referee allowed the tap to be taken before he was on the 30 line with the defensive line.

This made restarts much more exciting - just a shame that ganson can't be bothered to drag his tubby carcass with a speed to get the game restarted in the same way!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
right cross

Re: The quick tap from the 20

Post by right cross »

good idea cp ,but we come down to yet again the ref ?

some of them want i nice easy trot round or some want a bit of a spectical [but they have to a lot more running about ].

so once again its how the ref interprits it?.

after the farceical start to this season you don't know what the hell they are going to do ,one game to the next :angry:
mike binder

Re: The quick tap from the...

Post by mike binder »

cant beleive how many times the ref pulled callderwood back on saturday,thought the rule was as long as all the attacking players were behind the ball he could go ,not wait till the slower ref gets in position :angry:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I'm sure the rules say that taps can only be taken when the referee is ready.

I'm not sure how 'ready' is defined, whether the referee has to be a in a certain position, whether the referee has to be satisfied the defence is ready etc. The problem is that if there are few guidelines then it comes down to the referees opinion of 'ready', although referees are entitled to use their opinion it can easily lead to in cosistancy in refereeing.

I think many of the poor decisions are made because of lack of clarity in some of the rules, perhaps if the rules where written better with clear guidelines that could be followed by referees and fans then it would be alot easier for everyone.

Do the RFL ever consider the fans when writing the rules or guidelines because after all the fans give pay the money to keep RFL going and decisions made can effect the fans just as much as the players, especially when rules start to effect the quality of the game.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

in my opinion i dont think the attacking team should have to wait for the defending team to be ready ,isnt that the idea of a quick tap to gain a advantage :conf:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

mike binder posted:
in my opinion i dont think the attacking team should have to wait for the defending team to be ready ,isnt that the idea of a quick tap to gain a advantage :conf:
Some might say that the team does not deserve the advantage of a quick tap because they have only got the tap because of the ball going dead rather than because of their skill.

Personally I think that quick taps should be allowed and should occur more often as a quick way of re-starting what is meant to be a fast paced sport, the quick tap could be seen as punishment for a slow defence getting back rather than an advantage for the side with the ball.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
Some might say that the team does not deserve the advantage of a quick tap because they have only got the tap because of the ball going dead rather than because of their skill.

Personally I think that quick taps should be allowed and should occur more often as a quick way of re-starting what is meant to be a fast paced sport, the quick tap could be seen as punishment for a slow defence getting back rather than an advantage for the side with the ball.
As it stands the rule encourages the attacking side to kick the ball dead in that they can get themselves set due to the defending side having to wait for the ref to say OK.

It slows the game down and pins the defending side on its own 20m line. This is better than forcing a drop out where the defending team can get further up the pitch on the back of a long drop out. OK the defending team loses possession at a drop out but if the attacking side wants to play the game in the opposition half then kicking it dead with the rule as it stands ensures that happens. If a quick tap were allowed then it would encourage the attacking side to avoid the ball going dead IMO.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave is correct. Some team now deliberately kick the ball dead rather than risking the uncertainty of an attacking kick. Teams like to get themselves set in defence and hate broken play.

I would also ammend the kick chase rules whereby chasers can be in front of the kicker and simply be deemed onside provided they give the kick returner 10 yards. Instead, I would say the kicker has to play them onside. Hence, they could only get involved once the kicker had caught them up and played them onside.

I would make the defensive line stand 10 metres back at scrums too
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

DaveO posted:
If a quick tap were allowed then it would encourage the attacking side to avoid the ball going dead IMO.
I would agree with that but as fans isn't that what we want the ball spending more time in the field and not wasting time with slow tap restarts?

A good kick into the in goal is awarded by a drop out, a poor one and there is the potential for the other team to get the advantage. The team recieving the ball from a dead ball can only gain the advantage if the defence is slow to get back.