The quick tap from the 20

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
damien morrissey

Re: The quick tap from the...

Post by damien morrissey »

Well dffinatley doesnt happen for us with the play being live behind the ref at the moment.
If the ref runs five yards backwards and five yards laterally then would this make the refs position and ability to see more difficult?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

damien morrissey posted:
Well dffinatley doesnt happen for us with the play being live behind the ref at the moment.
If the ref runs five yards backwards and five yards laterally then would this make the refs position and ability to see more difficult?
No, but you can bet your life he'd run towards the referee because the ref is going to retire to behind the defensive line and to do that he needs to go through a gap in the defence.

You could then penalise the attacking player for ungentlemanly conduct for running at the referee or give him benefit of the doubt that it was an accident and award a scrum to the non-tapping side (territorial advantage) for interference of play.

Alternatively, you can wait until you're in the defensive line (or where they should be, on the 30) before blowing the whistle to avoid that hassle.

Only way to improve it is to get the referees to run faster and I'm sure they're doing sprint training to try and improve this.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

We're just debating in circles here! Seems we look at the game from a different viewpoint to you, Rob; most spectators want to see a free flowing game where the referee isn't a factor in the result, whereas you want to see it being "controlled".

The "quick tap" scenario is just one example of unnecessary control, IMO, as are some of the other topics we've talked about recently, like the PTBs.

Of course, things like high tackles, forward passes, offsides, should be penalised, as they materially affect the game, but always to ensure the ref is in the right position before allowing play to continue just slows the game down for no real reason.
It wouldn't be so bad if these rules were consistently applied, but as we've seen, not only do different referees interpret things differently, but sometimes the same ref will do so with different teams (as we saw with Ganson's PTB penalties - there was also an occasion a while ago when he penalised us for offside at the kick-off; yes, it's in the rules but how many times do we see it go unnoticed or ignored?). If incorrect PTBs, for example, were consistently punished, teams would soon stop doing it, but as things are these offences are ignored 9 times out of 10, which makes it all the more irritating when they're suddenly aplied again.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
We're just debating in circles here! Seems we look at the game from a different viewpoint to you, Rob; most spectators want to see a free flowing game where the referee isn't a factor in the result, whereas you want to see it being "controlled".

The "quick tap" scenario is just one example of unnecessary control, IMO, as are some of the other topics we've talked about recently, like the PTBs.
My earlier example of why I think a restart should be controlled was well displayed last night late on in the game. It was the first 20 m tap that Bentham pulled anyone up on. Calderwood sprinted, Bentham was about 27 m out and Calderwood ran straight at him, Bentham then told him to retake it. IMO this is why it's important for the referee to be set so he can keep out of the way. Had Calderwood broken their line the Hull KR players would have been justified in their annoyance that the referee was partly to blame.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The one last night was down to Calderwood. I thought Bentham was keen to let him take it BUT he was nowhere near being central.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
The one last night was down to Calderwood. I thought Bentham was keen to let him take it BUT he was nowhere near being central.
That is my view also. Calderwood squandered the opportunity Bentham was offering by not being central. Nothing to do with Bentham pulling him back because he was not or would not have been in control. This control thing is a complete red herring in my opinion.

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

he was no were near central you could see bentham was quite happy to let hin go ,maybe cpwigans idea of a penalty spot is not a bad idea ,get to that tap it when all your players are onside and off you go boy :conf: somple isnt it :o
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would do that Mike or just allow a tap from anywhere. Just to show how arbitary it is though, the referee in the U21s today was allowing taps when he was only 2 or 3 yards from the 20 line, oddly by running away from the 20 but keeping his eyes lookin at the 20 he was in total control :wink:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I would do that Mike or just allow a tap from anywhere. Just to show how arbitary it is though, the referee in the U21s today was allowing taps when he was only 2 or 3 yards from the 20 line, oddly by running away from the 20 but keeping his eyes lookin at the 20 he was in total control :wink:
Not quite Super League though is it, Academy Football.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Not quite Super League though is it, Academy Football.
Different rules in SL, Rob? :wink: