Consistent disciplinary...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robjoenz

Re: Consistent disciplinar...

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
I think rather than just tired, he was tired and frustrated and is the type of person who loses control of his self discipline in such situations. I am not saying that makes it acceptable BUT it is the reality.
I accept that, but does it put other players at risk having this type of player on the field?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It makes for an unpredictable and potentially dangerous match. However, you will often find with Terry that his actions relate to whether he is winning or losing. Alas, that is no excuse for losing control. In the end he pays the price and the clubs that employ him do AND as you say potentially the players he attacks.

However, Adrian Morley is poterntially dangerous to any player he tackles given his margin for error is so small. Do we ban him on what he may do?

I actually dislike players who go out from the onset to hurt (Allan Rathbone of Warrington) or niggle others.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
It makes for an unpredictable and potentially dangerous match. However, you will often find with Terry that his actions relate to whether he is winning or losing. Alas, that is no excuse for losing control. In the end he pays the price and the clubs that employ him do AND as you say potentially the players he attacks.

However, Adrian Morley is poterntially dangerous to any player he tackles given his margin for error is so small. Do we ban him on what he may do?

I actually dislike players who go out from the onset to hurt (Allan Rathbone of Warrington) or niggle others.
The difference with the example you give about Morley is that players going into a tackle are prepared for a big hit. Players would have just released the ball or are not near the ball are not prepared, their bodies are more relaxed and more prone to injury.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What you say Rob is rational BUT prepared or not Morley is hurling himself at you and he makes contact with your head even when he gets it right. That contact is full body contact.

A swinging arm can actually be very costly to the person throwing it. Steve hampson / Andy Goodway both broke their arms swinging and hitting the head of the ball carrier.

One point. I think if the RFL took a harder stance re lower arm protection you would see less swinging arms. for the majority that protection is a licence to use a swinging arm.

Going back in time; Mick Sullivan and Dougie Greenall use to strap their arms pass inspection and then dip the strapping in something like plaster liquid. Both made the likes of Terry Newton seem like an angel.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Look at it this way then... the game is tough enough as it is, risk of injury at one point or more in a season is high. This does not need to be added to by deliberate acts which may cause injury.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Perhaps BUT the game is powder puff in comparison to what it was even 5 years ago let alone 10, 20, 40 years. So a lot has been done. Knee / leg injuries are still far more career threatening.

Thomas Coyle saddens me. The U21 game today could have ignited because of him. He once cost several players a GF place through his antics.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

I would just like to take this opportunity to say......

WELL DONE TEZ...
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Perhaps BUT the game is powder puff in comparison to what it was even 5 years ago let alone 10, 20, 40 years. So a lot has been done. Knee / leg injuries are still far more career threatening.
So you pay a lot of credit to Stuart Cummings and Greg McAllum then? :wink:
Thomas Coyle saddens me. The U21 game today could have ignited because of him. He once cost several players a GF place through his antics.
Yes, I noticed that. McIlorum is also like that.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think the key Rob is that you cannot get away with anything owing to cameras recording every match. The fear of being caught is so much greater.

The game as a whole owes its cleaner image to a man called Jim Comans who cleaned the game up in Aus and set the tone that others in this country followed. Comans suspended Les Boyd twice for 12 and 18 months and Bob Cooper for 12 months.

In terms of foul play yes McCallum and Cummings can take credit along with many others. I still despair at constant meddling with interpretation and fads amongst the merry whistle blowers. Ego ridden referees annoy me. John Holdsworth refereed any potential powder kegg match and he did not need to put on a show to demonstrate he could handle whatever happened.

Ian Smith is the nearest thing to my preferred style of refereeing amongst the current mob