forward passes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
num lock

forward passes

Post by num lock »

After watching the game on Saturday,Hull KR v Leeds,and seeing that dreadful forward pass try actually being given,is it not time something was done to sort it out?
Decisions like that can't keep being allowed to stand without some form of protest being made to the RL.
Do you think the the officials should get to go to the video ref when a suspected forward pass leads directly to a try being scored?
Whatever is done, (or not), decisions like the one on Saturday just make the game look stupid to any neutrals watching.
We will all end up with quarterbacks if it is allowed to continue.
Fraggle

Re: forward passes

Post by Fraggle »

num lock posted:
After watching the game on Saturday,Hull KR v Leeds,and seeing that dreadful forward pass try actually being given,is it not time something was done to sort it out?
Decisions like that can't keep being allowed to stand without some form of protest being made to the RL.
Do you think the the officials should get to go to the video ref when a suspected forward pass leads directly to a try being scored?
Whatever is done, (or not), decisions like the one on Saturday just make the game look stupid to any neutrals watching.
We will all end up with quarterbacks if it is allowed to continue.
Ian Smith was also ignoring all the forward passes on Friday, which both sides were taking advantage of. Millard in particular seems to throw out a lot of forward passes that don't get noticed by the referee - just a shame that Smith couldn't determine backwards and forwards when it came to players losing control of the ball, but that's a different matter!

But maybe some of what I see in the stands as being forward passes are not forward, and they are infact marginally backwards but the angle from which I see it perhaps distorts things? And that's the reason the video ref can't be used, particularly at non-televised games. The single camera is in the tv gantry over the halfway line, so any passes that are not taking place over halfway are at an angle and may not be easy for a decision to be made. Although I suppose the same could be said for on/offside decisions, I've never understood how a video ref can rule that a player is onside at a kick when half the time they don't even appear in the same camera shot as the kicker!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

For obvious reasons the video ref cant judge on forward passes, due to camera angles etc... That is the linesmans job who should be stood parellel to play to judge a forward pass or not.

The one against Hull KR was pathetic, both the ref and linesman were looking at play for an obvious forward pass. What can be done? I don't know... maybe the linesmen need to learn more about the game because watching that pass, I felt quite angry that Leeds had scored. If Leeds went on to win the match then it would have been unfair. A forward pass is cheating, a forward pass by 6 metres leading to a try with the ref and linesman in close proximity is simply disgusting and unprofessional and should fine the referee or discipline him.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

I would also add that I think it's unrealistic to expect referees to get things 100% correct 100% of the time. Players make mistakes - is it realistic to expect referees to never make mistakes? It's something they should aim to achieve, but forward passes are pretty difficult to judge at the angles and speeds the game is being played at so the occasional mistake is to be expected.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I can let 'simple' forward passes to be got away with, it has happened since eternity, its just forward passes worthy of an NFL highlight on ESPN that need to be looked at with 2 officials watching the same action, surely two of them cant get a decision like that wrong at the same time.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

I wonder how much the hawkeye technology that is used in cricket and now tennis is? That could be used to check forward passes on video ref decisions as the data is produced from 6 static cameras around the pitch which can then plot the path of a ball, this would show if a pass if forward or not. I bet its costs too much to set up but should be worth a trial.
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

JIMH posted:
I wonder how much the hawkeye technology that is used in cricket and now tennis is? That could be used to check forward passes on video ref decisions as the data is produced from 6 static cameras around the pitch which can then plot the path of a ball, this would show if a pass if forward or not.
I was just thinking the same thing as I read the thread. If refs and touch judges can't determine if even blatant forward passes are forward then is this day and age it ought to be technology to the rescue.

If anything like this ever did come in Leeds would never get out of their own 20m zone as I reckon they can't go a set of six without at least one forward pass.

Dave
right cross

Post by right cross »

well that one on sat was appauling iv'e seen refs give forward passes when there is no way in the world that they can judge ,just because of there postion on the pitch .can anyone clarify what linesmen are there for ? it seems to me they only get involved when they have seen someone strikeing or to mark were the ball went out of touch. :conf:

if leeds would have won just on that decision there would have been a riot in hull.
:angry:
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

that pass was disgusting. it crossed the lnie by a few yards and wa spassed a few yards behind it! stevo chirping on about the momentum rule again but for me, if a pass is forward then that is that. technically if you pass the ball forward you are cheating so i say scrap that shockingly bad momentum crap rule and just have the rule 'if a apss travels forward, it is deemed as a forward pass'. simple. i was also qutie annoyed at some ref's incapability to give decisions for themselves. i know it was a big game but did he ever not go to the screen for a decision except the forward apss which he want allowed to go for?
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

DaveO posted:
JIMH posted:
I wonder how much the hawkeye technology that is used in cricket and now tennis is? That could be used to check forward passes on video ref decisions as the data is produced from 6 static cameras around the pitch which can then plot the path of a ball, this would show if a pass if forward or not.
I was just thinking the same thing as I read the thread. If refs and touch judges can't determine if even blatant forward passes are forward then is this day and age it ought to be technology to the rescue.

If anything like this ever did come in Leeds would never get out of their own 20m zone as I reckon they can't go a set of six without at least one forward pass.

Dave
it would be interesting to see it trialed, the problem i see tho is the momentum rule (and not the one stevo spouts on about) if a player is running forward and passes the ball backwards whilst it is in the air it will be traveling forwards, Stevo spouts on about this when he has passed it forward yet carried on running and got infront of the ball before it is caught, the technology should be able to show if its forward from when it leaves his hands (quite hard to explain without drawing it)
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!