Email to Phil Clarke re stupid forward pass rule!!!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Email to Phil Clarke r...

Post by Mike »

moved to "General RL" - interesting debate though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

JIMH you are spot on. If 2 players are running down the field the player in front can pass backwards to his team mate yet their forward momentum means the ball travels backwards in relation to their movement but forwards over the ground. That is the momentum rule. Like others I was saddened to see Clarke get this so wrong, whereas I expect Stevo to cock it up.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

lucky 13 posted:

Clarky makes me embarrassed to be a fellow Aspuller :blush:
Ey, as i am an adopted Aspuller (brinsop technically) I have a picture of me and phil clarke at Our Ladys summer fair in the early 90s. plus he winked at me once at church
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

jinkin jimmy posted:
JIMH you are spot on. If 2 players are running down the field the player in front can pass backwards to his team mate yet their forward momentum means the ball travels backwards in relation to their movement but forwards over the ground. That is the momentum rule. Like others I was saddened to see Clarke get this so wrong, whereas I expect Stevo to cock it up.
So what your saying is if two players are at full pelt and as an example player A releases the ball as his foot hits the try line by the time player B receives the ball it will be over the try line? I can't see it
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

Fujiman posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
So what your saying is if two players are at full pelt and as an example player A releases the ball as his foot hits the try line by the time player B receives the ball it will be over the try line? I can't see it

That is what happens Fujiman. If two players are running at full pelt and the passes the ball to where the player was at the very moment he released it the other player will have run straight past it. The players momentum means that when the ball is passed at speed it will actually travel forwrd in relation to the ground. If you have sky plus or a video have a look at some passes using your pause button
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

JIMH posted:
Fujiman posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:

That is what happens Fujiman. If two players are running at full pelt and the passes the ball to where the player was at the very moment he released it the other player will have run straight past it. The players momentum means that when the ball is passed at speed it will actually travel forwrd in relation to the ground. If you have sky plus or a video have a look at some passes using your pause button
While i understand what your saying but if you pass a ball back it goes back.Using another example i have never seen a footballer going at full speed cross a ball back from the dead ball line and by the time it reachs the penalty area it has gone past the goal. Whats the difference?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fujiman posted:
JIMH posted:
Fujiman posted: So what your saying is if two players are at full pelt and as an example player A releases the ball as his foot hits the try line by the time player B receives the ball it will be over the try line? I can't see it

While i understand what your saying but if you pass a ball back it goes back.Using another example i have never seen a footballer going at full speed cross a ball back from the dead ball line and by the time it reachs the penalty area it has gone past the goal. Whats the difference?
It might help to think of a more extreme example: if a plane drops a bomb, it will land far ahead of the point where it was dropped because the bomb initially has the same forward speed as the plane.
Another one you can try for yourself; throw something backwards out of the window of a moving car and watch where it lands, relative to the point where you threw it.

If you're athletic enough, you can actually do the same thing with a ball yourself. Run at full speed, and aim directly at a target to one side as you go past it. The ball will land well ahead of the target.

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

GeoffN posted:
Fujiman posted:
JIMH posted:
It might help to think of a more extreme example: if a plane drops a bomb, it will land far ahead of the point where it was dropped because the bomb initially has the same forward speed as the plane.
Another one you can try for yourself; throw something backwards out of the window of a moving car and watch where it lands, relative to the point where you threw it.

Similarly, the ball initially has the same forward speed as the player passing it.
and get a nice fine off the police???
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mike binder posted:
and get a nice fine off the police???
You will, of course, go back and collect it afterwards... :roll:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

if you can remember the spot you dropped it ,or would it be further down the road from the point you threw it out :lol: thus being a forward move???
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME