Email to Phil Clarke re stupid forward pass rule!!!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
JIMH

Email to Phil Clarke re stupid forward pass rule!!!

Post by JIMH »

I've just sent Phil Clarke an email via the sky sports website, I'm fed up of the momentum rule so decided to have a bit of a rant!! copy of email below.

Phil,

After watching this weeks boots‘n’all I would like to bring up the subject of the forward pass/momentum rule. The way I see the rule is that it explains as you said yourself “simple Physics” if someone is running in a forward direction when they pass the ball it will travel in a forward motion in relation to the floor, in my opinion this is the momentum rule (the ball carries the players momentum) The problem I have with they way the leeds try was shown on the show and the way Stevo constantly describes the rule is that if an attacking player chose to throw the ball deliberately over the defensive line yet he ran forward quickly and got level or ahead of the ball before it landed or was caught by the other attacker would that be deemed as a forward pass?? According to Stevo, eddie and yourself it wouldn’t. Are we going to see a new attacking move where the ball is thrown over the defensive line but the passing player running and catching up it to make it legal?? I doubt that’s what the rule intended but the way you lads on sky describe it means it could be a legal pass. In my opinion a forward pass is determined on the direction the ball comes out of the players hand, the momentum rule relates to “simple physics"

Jim from Preston

What do you think?
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
medlocke

Re: Email to Phil Clarke re st...

Post by medlocke »

Is it an actual rule, or does it just excist in Stevos head, i don't think i've heard any other commentator mention it since Stevo first brought it up
waterside glens

Re: Email to Phil Clarke r...

Post by waterside glens »

if the ball is recieved further forward than from where it was passed it's forward,whats hard about that .it's time to get back to basics and forget about momentum
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Lets make it really simple if the ball ends up moving in the direction of the opposition when the passing player releases it then it is deemed as a forward pass.
Forget physics for us simple northern folk and make common sense the way to go.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Like robbie paul said... if you throw the ball forwards... run past it and then ur mate on the wing gets it who was in front of you... that apparantly cant be a forward pass cos you finish in front of ball.

Rules should be very simple... ball goes forward from the point you pass... its a forward pass. Momentum rule should aim more towards 50-50 alignments of passes, not 1metre + forward.

Hawk Eye technology could be used to 'blip' a linesmans ear when the ball goes forward more than say 50cm... then he flags... very simply, the technology is there, well probably not the 'blip' sound... but I would happily record my voice saying 'blip' for the purpose of *cuts self off*
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

ancientnloyal posted:
Like robbie paul said... if you throw the ball forwards... run past it and then ur mate on the wing gets it who was in front of you... that apparantly cant be a forward pass cos you finish in front of ball.

Rules should be very simple... ball goes forward from the point you pass... its a forward pass. Momentum rule should aim more towards 50-50 alignments of passes, not 1metre + forward.

Hawk Eye technology could be used to 'blip' a linesmans ear when the ball goes forward more than say 50cm... then he flags... very simply, the technology is there, well probably not the 'blip' sound... but I would happily record my voice saying 'blip' for the purpose of *cuts self off*
I mentioned hawkeye myself on a previous post but atfer thinking about it i don't think it would work, what the rule states is correct, when 2 players are moving in a forward direction a ball passed across the line or slightly backwards will infact move forward in relation to the ground so hawkeye would only show a forward pass. What my issue is, when there is a blatent forward pass stevo and the men on sky claim that just because the passer of the ball ended up infront of the line of the ball before it landed or is caught it shouldn't be deemed as forward THIS IS RUBBISH!!!. will it result in players getting rid of a little chip over when according to stevo he could have just chucked it over the defender and ran round him before its caught, my understanding of stevo's interpretation of the rule states thats ok???

I'm sorry if i start to rant about this its just Stevo and sky are the people responsible for promoting our game on a world stage and if he making up stupid rules like this whilst broadcasting our game to the world he makes us look stupid.

I wish i had a pen and paper, its much easier to show what i mean.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Nice 1 JIMH, i thought it was just me who gets totally wound up week in week out with stupid stevos momentum rule.

My take on it is if you pause play (sky+ helps) and check where the players is stood in comparison to a metre line, then check where the player catches it you can tell if its gone forward.

Why should a guy who keeps on running get an advantage over a guy who gets hit after he's passed the ball.

I thought Clarky was cleverer than this, stevos obviously getting to him.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

This rule :eusa17: yes ok your flying in a jet fighter you pass the ball as hard as you can backwards and because you are traveling twice the speed of sound the ball lands in front of were you were when you passed it.

Love this one analyzing the Maguire pass at HKR ,draw a line after ball as traveled at least 7 yards forward player is level with the ball because he was knocked the same distance by a hard tackle from behind no forward pass and they say that was a good call ?

Clarky makes me embarrassed to be a fellow Aspuller :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

i think its stupid that video refs cant give forward passes on the replay :angry:
IN WANE WE TRUST
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

RAVINGWARRIOR posted:
i think its stupid that video refs cant give forward passes on the replay :angry:
I agree if the camera angle isn't good enough it can be given as "benefit of the doubt to the attacking team" a rule that was introduced but never seems to be used.