i fear for the future

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jammie

i fear for the future

Post by jammie »

another talented youngster gone how many more will follow?the RU have and open cheque book with no salary cap,we cannot compete.they have big sponsers queing up and can afford to pick & choose we don't have this luxaury and if those hangers on who run this sport don't adress this issue we could have no game worth saving and them out of jobs.we need to band together as fans of this great game from every RL club in the land and bombard the idiots at red hall with e-mails and do what ever we need to do to get them to put something in place to stop the games talent going to RU.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

JIMH

Re: i fear for the future

Post by JIMH »

i agree with you jammie but even without a salary cap there isn't a club in the country who could run whilst paying youngsters money like chris has been offered with rugby union. i fear chris won't be the last.
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I can tell you it is starting even earlier. I know for a fact that a 16 year old youngster who signed for our Academy last year received offers from Rugby Union and he is a forward.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It will get worse. RU does have a salary cap. It is £2.25 million but is as leaky as a a sieve. The Worcester head coach was quoted in the press as saying any club with cash available will get the players they want. That was not to do with poaching RL players but at swipe at how their sport was not regulating their salary cap internally. Their salary cap is not an obstacle for rich clubs to sign players.

Also RU is going to centrally contract all the England players. They won't actually be employed by their clubs.

The RFU will have first call on these players services which means they won't be available for their club for much of the season. As a sweetener to the clubs they are being given a handout of something like £15m.

As our Northampton friend pointed RU clubs already get a break on their salary cap for International players and injured players (remember the difficulties we had over Hock and Lockers) so its quite clear the RU clubs are awash with cash to spend on players wages.

Again from what our Northampton friend pointed out they don't have a local production line of players so I can see RU clubs looking for short term fixes to compensate for the loss of their England players and they will turn to the RL production line for players.

In a very short space of time our game will become a feeder sport for RU pretty much as the lower divisions in soccer feed the premiership.

The only solution is more money in the game. With Whelan Wigan could compete if they were allowed to. Wire could with Morgan at the helm. After that it all looks rather shaky in terms of financial welfare.

However I am sure there will be plenty who will put their head in the sand and be content playing a mediocre level of RL in an even competition full of Kolpak cast offs. I have not seen it myself but I believe Hethringon at Leeds does not see the loss of Ashton as anything to worry about.

Dave
jammie

Post by jammie »

i don't see any other way to keep our best players other than to be able to pay them more money,and that obviously means uping/lifting the salary cap or not counting young british players staying at the same club on the cap to encourage clubs to keep hold of their youngsters,and keep them out of the clutches of the rah rah's
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We certainly need to be able to increase their wages. If they are getting decent money already then the big cheque being waived at them is less of an inducement. At the moment they get paid very little so when that big cheque appears the temptation is that much greater.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

but the real problem is there arnt enough league clubs who can financialy compete with each other. wakey, shudderfield, london, salford, hull kr.and quite a few more would all stuggle to keep up with any increase in the cap. the top 4-5 clubs would be ok but we cant just play each other over and over again. so until the lower clubs get there acts together we are stuck with what we have!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the grinch posted:
but the real problem is there arnt enough league clubs who can financialy compete with each other. wakey, shudderfield, london, salford, hull kr.and quite a few more would all stuggle to keep up with any increase in the cap. the top 4-5 clubs would be ok but we cant just play each other over and over again. so until the lower clubs get there acts together we are stuck with what we have!
The question is do those clubs you mention merit those clubs that could function at a higher financial level being reduced to the level of mediocrity that little lot represent?

They have not shown any inkling of getting there act together at all so when is it going to happen?

Wakefield in particular ought to be kicked out tomorrow in my opinion. Yes they have had a few good results but look at their crowds and financial side of the club and they are just not on the pace.

And in effect with the trophies heading with almost the same monotonous regularity to the same clubs (i.e. Bradford and Saints) as they came to Wigan pre-SL the top clubs may as well fight it out amongst themselves anyway.

Dave

lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think some teams may join the top teams through the building of new stadiums, like cas ,salford .

I also think Hudd are getting their although very slowly .

Maybe a new stadium and a franchise in cumbria or and Wales add that to us stains wire brad hull n leeds maybe widnes who have a decent ground already.

frenchys fans seam to be turning out this season london is a worry although SL show feature showed some encouraging signs.

Amend the cap re young players get rid of relegation give teams a bit of time to build.

This with no youth counting on cap would alow us to get young players on longer better play related contracts which would rise on how you progressed based on first team appearances .

02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimofwigan

Post by jimofwigan »

jammie posted:
another talented youngster gone how many more will follow?the RU have and open cheque book with no salary cap,we cannot compete.they have big sponsers queing up and can afford to pick & choose we don't have this luxaury and if those hangers on who run this sport don't adress this issue we could have no game worth saving and them out of jobs.we need to band together as fans of this great game from every RL club in the land and bombard the idiots at red hall with e-mails and do what ever we need to do to get them to put something in place to stop the games talent going to RU.
Don't fear for the future the futures bright the futures rugby league. These rugby yawnion type are at last only showing how much they admire the rugby league set up They think our players are quicker fitter and have more talent than their up and comming youngsters. I will put my house on it that Chris Ashton will be playing rugby league in less than four years time and he will only be 24.

You can tell how good the skill and fittness levels are in Englands Rugby union by the results they are getting at Present. How they missed having a scape goat against Wales. Austin big mouth Healey was noticeable by his silence after the final whistle.No Farrel to blame

The future is bright the future is Rugby League :doz: :roll: :) :D