Question for robjoenz

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
butt monkey

Question for robjoenz

Post by butt monkey »

Quite a few years ago - the Stains under the guidance of a certain Mike McLennan, used a loophole in the rules of the game to score an unusual try. The move originated around the rather tall John Harrison - I'm not sure whether he personally headed it from hand, or someone else threw him the ball and he headed it into the in-goal area, but because it was not against the rules, the try was given (don't know the ref - but I bet he was confused)

This forced the Rugby League to alter the rules about projecting the ball forward with the head. Thus eliminating all scores from this action.

Can you enlighten me - have their ever been any similar rule changes by the RFL when the Rules of the game are not broken but not exactly in the spirit of the game in order to help a team score/to take advantage of opponents?

Cheers for this.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Re: Question for robjoenz

Post by cpwigan »

I am not Rob BUT I believe that at one time a player deliberately handballed the ball past the defender and caught it beyond the defender to make a break. I believe that is no longer allowed.

Going back in time, some players particularly Batten used to hurdle would be tacklers. Whilst not against the rules I would suggest if somebody did it today it would be construed as dangerous play.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
I am not Rob BUT I believe that at one time a player deliberately handballed the ball past the defender and caught it beyond the defender to make a break. I believe that is no longer allowed.
Correct. Heading the ball forward is not allowed any more.

Dave
JIMH

Post by JIMH »

cpwigan posted:

Going back in time, some players particularly Batten used to hurdle would be tacklers. Whilst not against the rules I would suggest if somebody did it today it would be construed as dangerous play.
I agree this wouldn't be allowed but if we apply stevo's "momentum rule" which is (forward pass + sky sports nonce = good pass) if the player who handelled the ball or passed it (regardless if it goes forward) ended up infront of the ball he beleives it would be ok.
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

DaveO posted:
cpwigan posted:
Correct. Heading the ball forward is not allowed any more.
But a 5 yd forward pass is

Dave
:conf: but a 5 yd forward pass is???
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Do you remember Wigan utilising a Rugby Yawnion move (?) under Graham Lowe against Leeds at Headingley. I think we won Thirty - Nil that Wednesday night in question. It was something like the entire Wigan forward pack ran in a line together, one of whom had the ball, then as the defence was about to meet, all the Wigan players in a line turned and the player with the ball passed it to a player just off the wall of players and the ball was fed out to the support - if you know what I mean!!!!

It didn't result in a try, but did confuse everyone (a very unsure Leeds defence baffled still further), including all the fans and especially me!!!

I'd love Stevo to comment on that little move (if it ever re-appeared) on Sky, I think he'd lose the plot still further.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!