WAKEFIELD V WIRE!!!!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
turf

WAKEFIELD V WIRE!!!!

Post by turf »

What an absolutely SUPERB game of RL. The best game that I have seen so far this year.

Well refereed by Ganson as well. Well done to the video referee Ben Thaler as well, as he was fairly busy tonight, and got all of his decisions correct.

Isn't it great that we are at LAST able to praise at least ONE of the full time referees.
butt monkey

Re: WAKEFIELD V WIRE!!!!

Post by butt monkey »

Praise for Ganson - are you drunk?

No I agree, I think that Steve Ganson is a consistent, if bad referee, for both sides. Wigan just need to get over the "Precious" attitude they have with him in control and they usually do well with him refereeing.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
turf

Post by turf »

No I am NOT drunk thank you!!!!! Ganson DID have a VERY good game, apart from giving that voluntary tackle which was, but he should NOT have changed his mind.

We on this board seem to have a vendetta against the fella because he is from St Helens.

Why can't we have a vendetta against Bentham or Klein. Both of those two are WORSE than Ganson, and I am not even putting Klein and Bentham together.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Sorry, but ganson was rubbish throughout. He disallowed a try for a wakefield forward pass - it was dubious but fair enough, a tricky call - but then he let many similar passes go throughout the match, why pick that particaulr one to penalise? Is it because he would gain some attention from that particular call?

He missed many offsides from not standing square for both sides. On several occasions he seemed unsure as to what descision to give, and on one occasion he seemed to want to reverse his descision, but the players had already restarted the game, so he went with the original call.

And the icing on the cake - the "voluntary tackle" penalty! Given after he had called "surrender" (and he had already warned a player for continuing to struggle after his call in the first half), and after the next tackle had been made, and only after the nearest Wire player to him had given him an earfull! It was a diabolical piece of refereeing. If he had shouted "play-on" the player would have continued to try to go forwards (albeit on is knees). A call of surrender means stop and submit to the tackle, then play the ball as soon as you can once the defenders are clear, which is exactly what the grounded (but not tackled) player did. The moment was embarrassing!

On the whole, I thought he was bad for both side, but the Wakefield fans have most to feel agrieved about.

Ganson is the referee that needs to improve the most in the new full-time era.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

PS it was a great game, but Wakefield were pretty unlucky to to win by as little as they did. They were very impressive and deserve to be up there at the top of the league.

Perhaps the league us evening up, crowds increasing and the quality improving?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike posted:

Perhaps the league us evening up, crowds increasing and the quality improving?
Wakefield being up there shows to me that the quality is definitely not improving. They have plucked a couple of NL1 players out of the lower league and Kear is certainly getting the best out of his troops but it really should not be enough to trouble an established SL side.

Kear has got them playing as a team and that seems good enough to beat quite a few sides. I don't think the standard of SL is up to much at the moment. Barrett stands out incredibly as a quality player but lets not forget he is a 29 year old half back so is essentially in the twilight of his career.

I watched a YouTube video of Widnes playing Hull with Offiah running riot but the best thing about it was the quality of the support play by the rest of the team. It was better IMO than what we see today by a long way.

Dave
becky b

Post by becky b »

All i can say is thank god for the big screen what would he have done without it he couldnt make a discion without going to video ref good job it was on sky as the score could have a lot different otherwise
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

becky b posted:
All i can say is thank god for the big screen what would he have done without it he couldnt make a discion without going to video ref good job it was on sky as the score could have a lot different otherwise
I couldn't believe the screen gave the first Wakey try when Gleeson was obstructed and the Wire one with the ball steal was a bit debatable as well.

Dave