Who will win the franchise lottery...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Who will win the franchise lottery...

Post by Matthew »

Super League 2009 will have 14 teams

The teams that will probably get a franchise automatically:

Wigan
Leeds
saints
Bradford
Hull FC
Warrington

Protected from relegation by the RFL

les cats

Protected from bankruptcy by the RFL

London

(that's 8 spaces gone)

The Other current Super League teams likely to get a franchise
Salford (new stadium)
Huddersfield

(that's 10 gone)

The Other current Super League teams
Wakefield (despite currently topping the league, don't know if their ground meets requirements)
Hull KR (ditto)

NL1 hopefuls
Doncaster (have new stadium and backing of MP)
Castleford
Widnes
Leigh
Whitehaven

Others
Another French team
A Welsh team

That means 7 known teams will fight it out for the remaining 4 spaces in the new era of SL. If you add another French team (possible) and a Welsh team (unlikley) then you have 9 teams.

Anybody care to guess who (and why) they think will be in Super League 2009?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
GeoffN

Re: Who will win the franchise...

Post by GeoffN »

I'd like to see Celtic Crusaders in there, but it may be a couple of years too early for them yet.
DaveO

Re: Who will win the franc...

Post by DaveO »

The selection criteria is supposed be based on stadium facilities, playing squad, revenue, supporter base, community work and marketing activities.

So that rules out Wakefield from the off. They may be riding high at the moment but fail miserably on all other fronts and have done ever since they have been in SL. They bring nothing in the criteria to SL and they are one of the sides holding the game back IMO so I hope they get the chop.

Hudds are Wakefield MkII but with a good ground.

The big question is therefore will the RFL/SL have the guts to apply the criteria strictly and boot these two sides out?

I somehow doubt it as in the past both have been saved in one way or another with Wakefield promoted despite not meeting the promotion criteria of the time and Hudds have survived relegation several times despite finishing last.

Other sides in the frame.

Widnes. Definitely in from what I can see.

Castleford. No. Although they have a passionate set of fans there are not enough of them. They are a small town in Yorkshire surrounded by much bigger clubs so I doubt they meet the criteria either.

Salford. Maybe it depends on that new ground but their support is not up to much and how they meet the other criteria I don't know.

Doncaster. Don't know. They obviously want a franchise and will have the ground but again how they meet the other criteria is unknown.

HKR. I reckon they would get in. Isn't New Craven park just that, New?

The one everyone has missed off the doubtful list is of course Saints. Poor support and rubbish ground :lol: Yes they are getting a new one supposedly but if it falls through they won't meet the criteria.

Of course the RFL would not kick them out but that would just show the franchise criteria isn't worth the paper it written on. I suspect the same will be true with Wakey and Hudds as well.

I reckon it could simply end up as a 14 team league with Widnes and Cas added making a mockery of the supposed criteria.

Dave

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

im not saying im biased but Shevington Sharks are close to getting a new club house ,they would be a great addition :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

I second this. (If i can play by this time). And probably get battered but a nice chanse to give Mr Long a big boot up the....
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Cumbria should have a franchise they need a ground first ''I know'' but they have the amateur and pro game already in place and this seams a place were league is already established at a ground root level .

Wales would be another place as I dont think they look down on league like many of our england based union brothers seem to ,and looking at the way they play at least their backs seem to have a natural flair and will to play rugby instead of just kicking the leather off the ball.

SL teams who have or at least are planning new grounds should have a time limit put on their franchise of lets say 2 to 3 years to meet the levels on and off the field .

The French team already seem to be getting a better following than some of our English teams and they were bottom last season ,if they start winning the franchise their may be a successful one , this is good for RL full stop and if we got a Wales team to do the same we would have the start of a meaningful home international series a few years down the track.

Doncaster looks promising Widnes and Cas would be options HKR have shown promise.

We could have a 14 team league at a push now but Cas is not a massive town so how much potential they have is a question but they do get more than quins in London which is one of the biggest citys in the world so if they get a ground I would let them in .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Supposed Saints application would depend a a new stadium :sly:
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

[quote]lucky 13 posted:
Cumbria should have a franchise they need a ground first ''I know'' but they have the amateur and pro game already in place and this seams a place were league is already established at a ground root level .
Pleased you mentioned Cumbria 'Lucky 13'.
Most people in Cumbria would be digusted if Doncaster were considered on the strength of a new stadium, they dont exactly have a strong rugby league history compared to some others. I can remember the days that my home town club, Workington used to push Wigan, Widnes & Warrington all the way in the old Lancashire cup in the late 70's. Unfortunately Town are out of the reconing in their current condition, a sad state of affairs, however the fan base in the county for rugby League is up with the best, as can be proven at amateur games. My feeling is that the fans of the individual clubs, Whitehaven, Barrow & Workington would not accept a united front in the name of Cumbria, a bit like Wigan, Stains & Wire merging. Cumbria will probably be a no-goer, based on fans wanting to keep their home club identity.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I know what you mean when you say a merger would not be greeted well but when Cumbria put a team out it always seems to be backed by fans , ok it may not be ideal but with time and success and with local talent from the clubs I think it cold be done .

It seems a shame when we want to spread the game to new areas that we overlook a vibrant RL playing county , add that to it also being a place fans like to travel too and really its to good of an option to ignore or at least it would be if the RL had any idea. :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

When the franchise system comes in in 2009 if there are bids that meet that criteria and there are some SL clubs that do not, then I can't see how the SL clubs can be given two or three years to sort themselves out. They will have had the same time as all the other clubs, SL clubs or not.

It is just unfair on the clubs outside of SL who will have worked diligently to meet the criteria. If they manage to do it there can be no excuse for the existing SL clubs to have failed to do the same thing.

Dave