Gallows Pole being constructed for Sam Burgess.

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Sutty

Re: Gallows Pole being constructed for Sam Burgess.

Post by Sutty »

It was exactly the same when Andy Farrell played for England in the last World Cup. There was the prize buffoon of Jeremy Guscott practically blaming Faz for the England performances. Not to mention the sheer laughability of both some of the players and pundits in refusing to admit that the England winger actually had his foot miles in touch when diving for the corner, in what would have been a try to win the game for England. That level of blinkered arrogance is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's always been the same with some of the RU toffs, they are just so far up their own arses that they can't see what's actually wrong. As CP says, it was largely the England pack that gave all the penalties away, that were converted to points, via the boot of Biggar. Apart from Burgess' kicking game (or shocking attempts at it), he did very little wrong. I think he was once caught out of position early on, but from then on played solidly.

I had to laugh when (I can't remember which) I either read or heard someone say that Burgess had no experience of the big stage. I suppose the NRL Grand Final or a RL World Cup Semi Final isn't comparable to playing on the hallowed turf at Twickers!!

Just because I defended Andy Farrells decision to move to Union, for financial gain, don't misinterpret that as me having anything but huge distaste and anger that the RFU as a whole are a load of stuck up, blinkered, snobbish bigots that refuse to either see how great the skills are in RL or how incredibly athletic and versatile our players can be. The very fact that the RFU have again spent a fortune to sign a RL prop / second row and then panic when trying to think of his best position, only to put him at centre, says a lot about how desperate they are to actually do something worthwhile with their sport.

On the subject of so called pundits John Inverdale is one of the most horrible creatures to grace the RU coverage, I hate his totally unhidden opinion of looking down his (considerable) nose at our game.

I'd better stop now, I've made myself angry just typing that :lol:

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Sutty wrote:It was exactly the same when Andy Farrell played for England in the last World Cup. There was the prize buffoon of Jeremy Guscott practically blaming Faz for the England performances. Not to mention the sheer laughability of both some of the players and pundits in refusing to admit that the England winger actually had his foot miles in touch when diving for the corner, in what would have been a try to win the game for England. That level of blinkered arrogance is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's always been the same with some of the RU toffs, they are just so far up their own arses that they can't see what's actually wrong. As CP says, it was largely the England pack that gave all the penalties away, that were converted to points, via the boot of Biggar. Apart from Burgess' kicking game (or shocking attempts at it), he did very little wrong. I think he was once caught out of position early on, but from then on played solidly.

I had to laugh when (I can't remember which) I either read or heard someone say that Burgess had no experience of the big stage. I suppose the NRL Grand Final or a RL World Cup Semi Final isn't comparable to playing on the hallowed turf at Twickers!!

Just because I defended Andy Farrells decision to move to Union, for financial gain, don't misinterpret that as me having anything but huge distaste and anger that the RFU as a whole are a load of stuck up, blinkered, snobbish bigots that refuse to either see how great the skills are in RL or how incredibly athletic and versatile our players can be. The very fact that the RFU have again spent a fortune to sign a RL prop / second row and then panic when trying to think of his best position, only to put him at centre, says a lot about how desperate they are to actually do something worthwhile with their sport.

On the subject of so called pundits John Inverdale is one of the most horrible creatures to grace the RU coverage, I hate his totally unhidden opinion of looking down his (considerable) nose at our game.

I'd better stop now, I've made myself angry just typing that :lol:
Inverdale is a classic example of the old school tie in Union while Guscott showed himself up by not playing in the cross code game. Rumour at the time was that he was afraid of getting hurt by the tackling of the league players.

I ask you, since when has a "bricklayer" been scared of a bit of rough play?
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Exactly, he (Guscott) was probably more afraid that his image of being a "great" centre would be tarnished by being made to look incredibly ordinary by Gary Connolly, who was in his prime.

I just despise Inverdale, the horrible, sneering idiot.

robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

This links in neatly with Jeremy Corbyn's photograpg on the front of thr Telegraph: same class, same sneering, same garbage
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... erformance

yet more Sam bashing
Total b@llocks. You just know it's pure garbage when he says Burgess never got up to the pace of the game. If he really said this, he ought to be ashamed of himself, as it's a downright lie.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Did the English Rugby Union buy Burgess to shut down Roberts the best centre in union for the last 2-3 years. Love him in a Wigan shirt.

He did a job on him and once he went off England lost shape and Wales did them just as we got done by Saints the previous week.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

What i think is totally hilarious is they blame barritt (supposed star) performance on Sam!!

They also left out the part about SAMs sheer physical presence drew 2 defenders leading to the space for the England try
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Sounds to me that he is a bit peeved that Sam is more well known than himself.

The only Darcy I have ever heard of is a character in a well known book.