Supposing someone was thinking of moving to Wigan....

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
moto748

Supposing someone was thinking of moving to Wigan....

Post by moto748 »

...would any kind posters here have any comments/pointers about merits and demerits of particular areas, etc. etc?

Only a small property would be required (one person only), and looking on rightmove, there appear to be plenty of tidy little refurbished two-bed terraces and semis on the market in Wigan.

I don't know the town that well, mostly the town centre pubs and the well-beaten path from there to the DW :)
:lol: but thinking in terns of preferring somewhere within easy walking distance of the town, I've considered Springfield/Gidley, the top end of the Poolstock area (say around Pool St), the nearest-to-the-town part of Ince (I mean around the Scholes area; does that count as Ince, or is it still Wigan?), and Swinley/area around the park.

I know little of the area beyond the DW like Newtown and Goose Green and wherever.

Thanks.
josie andrews

Re: Supposing someone was thinking of moving to Wigan....

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:...would any kind posters here have any comments/pointers about merits and demerits of particular areas, etc. etc?

Only a small property would be required (one person only), and looking on rightmove, there appear to be plenty of tidy little refurbished two-bed terraces and semis on the market in Wigan.

I don't know the town that well, mostly the town centre pubs and the well-beaten path from there to the DW :)
:lol: but thinking in terns of preferring somewhere within easy walking distance of the town, I've considered Springfield/Gidley, the top end of the Poolstock area (say around Pool St), the nearest-to-the-town part of Ince (I mean around the Scholes area; does that count as Ince, or is it still Wigan?), and Swinley/area around the park.

I know little of the area beyond the DW like Newtown and Goose Green and wherever.

Thanks.
All those areas are close to the town centre & within easy walking distance of the town & the stadium, there are good & bad areas everywhere. You just have to look around to see if properties around are well maintained. It's the same as everywhere I suppose.

It's Gidlow BTW :)

And Scholes is classed as Wigan.

There is also Darlington Street & properties round there.

Hope this helps a little bit :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Thanks Josie. Yeah, Gidlow Lane, I do know well enough.
I must have been confusing it with "Gidley Lame" ! :lol:

Darlington Street, yes, I looked at a couple of places round there too, Brookhouse Street, Cambridge Way.

Everywhere has GCH these days, but Wigan isn't a smokeless zone, is it? I have seen places with wood-burners.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:Thanks Josie. Yeah, Gidlow Lane, I do know well enough.
I must have been confusing it with "Gidley Lame" ! :lol:

Darlington Street, yes, I looked at a couple of places round there too, Brookhouse Street, Cambridge Way.

Everywhere has GCH these days, but Wigan isn't a smokeless zone, is it? I have seen places with wood-burners.
It is smokeless!! I know there are wood burners everywhere now, but isn't that different to non smokeless fossil fuels??
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Don't get me going on fossils! :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Don't get me going on fossils! :wink:
????????????
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The answer would appear to be, "it's complicated".

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/art ... ng-stoves/

Fixed your link - Josie :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:The answer would appear to be, "it's complicated".

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/art ... ng-stoves/

Fixed your link - Josie :)
Ha ha it really is isn't it??

When my husband was alive we bought a house in Appley Bridge in the late 70's which had an open fire & oil central heating, there wasn't any gas in that area then. And we were the first to pay £250 to have gas installed into our house when it eventually came.

But before we had gas, I loved the open fire. I would get up at 5 in the morning to get it started for when my hubby got up.

We then had to go smokeless!!! It was still great, an open fire, but it was so expensive to run as well as the oil!!

We then got gas & out went the open fire & oil heating.

I was under the impression that Wigan was completely 'smokeless' & wondered how 'wood burning stoves fell into this category of smokeless!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I like an open fire too, but they must be almost impossible to find these days, except perhaps some country cottages. I guess a wood-burner is the closest you get these days. I've never run one, but they seem an appealing idea (fuel for free?) as a secondary heating option.

Location location is more an issue for me than heating options, though!
doc

Post by doc »

If your looking at location Swinley is possibly best along with Gidlow Lane area round Springfield and some of the streets off it and some of the side streets off Park Road e.g. Hodges St, Barnsley St. Scholes/Ince bit dodgy in places. Same as everywhere, depends what you are looking to spend.