Supposing someone was thinking of moving to Wigan....

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
moto748

Re: Supposing someone was thinking of moving to Wigan....

Post by moto748 »

Anyway, in more positive news, survey arranged today, and also a season ticket! :D
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Being a born & bred Ince'r I'll say there's nowt wrong with Ince!
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

I would never pretend or advise somebody to go into a pub that is not safe. Likewise,areas of Wigan have differing crime rates as do all towns / cities. Wigan Observer crime reports are often a good indicator.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm happy to assume that you mean well, FWarrior, but I am content with my decision, of course I've looked into crime rates, along with other factors, and am looking forward to what I hope will be a happy time in my life.
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

100% Moto. Wherever you live there are good/ bad
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

Platt Bridge is nice now since they opened the wine and tapas bars opposite the King Billy bodega, the salsa dancing club is taking off aswell, rumours abound that Kate and William are looking at buying a holiday home on Woodcock Drive.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
SJ

Post by SJ »

My Wife went to Carnforth some time ago and called in at Wigan. She told me it had changed so much I wouldn't recognise it. She said she barely heard. The endearing unique accent ie Wiganese but the city of Liverpool accent seemed to be endemic. Pity that Wigan is loosing if not already unique "Woolyback culture ( to coin a Scouse phrase for Wiganers. Also the influx of Polish and other East European people is making Wigan seem more cosmopolitan This may be a good thing and perhaps represent progress ? I don't know. What I do fear perhaps selfishly that The Wigan I remember: It's idiosyncrasy ,dialect and its self deprecating humour will be missed by me. "In 'th Club Corner" springs to mind a regular article in the "Wigan Observer" or"Examiner" I forget which( Kitt W will know from memory.
No I wouldn't want to move to Wigan now. I want to keep the memories I hold not dashed by the reality of today but that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who was considering to move to Wigan but I would give them one caveat.
If you porr(kick) one they all limp so be warn'd????
moto748

Post by moto748 »

To answer you seriously, I think you could make the same comment about near enough every town in the country. My home-town, which I've not lived in for over thirty years, is unrecognisable now. Recession, and the subsequent filling of our High Streets with identikit Costcutters, charity shops, and bookies, increased levels of immigration, greater social mobility, all of these things are factors.

And FWIW, my take as an outsider is that Wigan has been more successful in retaining its character than many towns.
jobo

Post by jobo »

moto748 wrote:To answer you seriously, I think you could make the same comment about near enough every town in the country. My home-town, which I've not lived in for over thirty years, is unrecognisable now. Recession, and the subsequent filling of our High Streets with identikit Costcutters, charity shops, and bookies, increased levels of immigration, greater social mobility, all of these things are factors.

And FWIW, my take as an outsider is that Wigan has been more successful in retaining its character than many towns.
Spot on Moto.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Although I have never lived in Wigan I have known it's character and highlights for as far back in my life as I can remember.
Nothing lasts forever, but Wigan has faired much better than most, much better than my hometown Bolton, in retaining it's tradition.
The naive warmth of the place is still there to be found if you look for it!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield