General election

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
fozzieskem

General election

Post by fozzieskem »

June 8th no surprise at all really and I rather suspect a landslide for the Tories
Caboosegg

Re: GENERAL ELECTION CALLED FOR 8TH JUNE

Post by Caboosegg »

Smart Move, no real opposition, i would love a miricle and the torys kicked to the curb, but Labour has been pulled apart from the inside out, Lib Dems are still recoving, and with the SNP most likely to get scotland the tories are going to most likely win it like wakefield beat us last year ;)

then means going forward the tories can fully say they are doing what the country voted for instead of the currently 52/48 (of whatever % voted)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Smart Move, no real opposition, i would love a miricle and the torys kicked to the curb, but Labour has been pulled apart from the inside out, Lib Dems are still recoving, and with the SNP most likely to get scotland the tories are going to most likely win it like wakefield beat us last year ;)

then means going forward the tories can fully say they are doing what the country voted for instead of the currently 52/48 (of whatever % voted)
Assuming they don't poll over 50% of the vote( which happens very rarely with FPTP) they won't be able to say that at all.

What May wants is no interference not only from the official opposition but from within her own party in parliament. Her majority is slim and she faces plenty of internal opposition to a hard brexit.

This is all about obtaining a larger parliamentary majority so she can function as a dictator and not put the brexit negotiations to the scrutiny of a parliament that has a majority opposed to a hard brexit.
OJ

Re: General election

Post by OJ »

I used to be involved with the running of elections from a local government point of view - not a political one and trust me elections, a referendum or a census all cost an absolute fortune to run so when you consider all this type of thing we've had in recent times personally I'd rather they spent the cash on the NHS but that's not going to happen sadly
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

doc

Post by doc »

Blatant opportunism by the PM that the 5 year parliament rule was meant to stop so what does Corbyn do? Supports her! An actual case of a turkey voting for Xmas.

I really hope Corbyn can get a surprise win like he did in the Labour leadership election but sadly I can't see it happening. 5 more years of cuts to the NHS, education, welfare etc. on the way with no opposition to speak of.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Caboosegg wrote:Smart Move, no real opposition, i would love a miricle and the torys kicked to the curb, but Labour has been pulled apart from the inside out, Lib Dems are still recoving, and with the SNP most likely to get scotland the tories are going to most likely win it like wakefield beat us last year ;)

Yes, it looks bleak, doesn't it? Not at all surprised by this move, I remember saying to a work colleague when May was first made PM, I expect there'll be an early election. He said, there can't be, they're all fixed term now. I said, just wait and see...

Minor upside, at least I get a vote in a Labour constituency now. And I wouldn't be surprised if it brings Corbyn's tenure as Labour leader to an end, either. However, if anyone thinks that Labour's problems are over if only they'd replace Corbyn (who I personally think is a decent man and have no problems with), they are kidding themselves.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Paradox is, the Tories are supposed to be the Unionist party, but they would be the biggest beneficiaries of an independent Scotland. They'd rule England (and Wales) for ever and a day.

I think one of two of them are waking up to that concept.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Labour can only hope for the "vote for change" vote that does seem to hit around this time.

Corbyn has been a disaster - i was hopeful for him but he has just been competently vacant in terms of committing a presence.

Having said that May has been rather out the headlines too she doesnt put her self about as much as i thought she would
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
doc

Post by doc »

As a bloke I like Corbyn and support 90% of what he says. His problem isn't convincing me to vote Labour, it is getting swing voters to vote Labour and I just don't think he appeals to them. This is the reason I didn't vote for him in the Labour leadership election. His public profile isn't helped by the fact that the media in this country predominantly has a right wing bias.

I think Labour will get hammered in the election with just the northern and inner city strongholds surviving leading to an increasingly divided nation. Labour will then be further depleted by the proposed boundary changes at subsequent elections. I really hope I'm wrong unfortunately having borrowed Meds crystal ball I think not.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

As a general rule we would have to buck the trend of what seems to be the world right now in going to the left.

Nearly every election/decision over the last year or so around the world seems to have been won on the basis of right to far right policies.

I just cant see how Corbyn an out and out lefty can hope to get a nation that is currently sitting on the right over to his party. Brexit was won on a couple of policies that sit on the right of the political spectrum. Given that people felt so strongly about them few policies unless Corbyn moves Labour further towards the middle he wont just lose it will be a mauling.

He just doesnt have even charisma to promte a viable change. His party seem completely split on whether they want him. The Tories arent much better but as they say in a boxing match youve got to win it from the champ.

One things for sure kiss goodbye to the NHS as we know it if the Tories have another 5 years at ruining it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure