Message for Parents and snapchat users please read!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wigan_forever1985

Message for Parents and snapchat users please read!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just to bring something to your attention if you child uses snapchat they have introduced a new feature that can be potentially dangerous.

For those none tech savvy a brief overview snapchat is a messaging system where you can chat to people or send them photos, the platforms unique selling point is the messages and photos disappear once read. You can also post photos or videos to stories which last for 24hrs then disappear which all your "friends" can view

The new feature allows you to add your location to a map that looks a lot like google maps. The main danger in this is the accuracy of this location it literally goes to basically individual house level so if activated all your "friends" can see exactly where you are and where you live, and this updates every time you access the app so they would also know when a young child was at the park for example

The big danger here is that "friends" on snapchat are just contacts. Its not like facebook or instagram there are no profiles or no contact details. you dont even have to have a profile picture. Its not unreasonable to assume a status symbol for the young would be to have lots of followers on snapchat many of them may be complete strangers.

There is also the other side to this many will snap pictures inside their houses, possibly of things they own, well this would give someone a candid view of your house and then where it is on the map and more crucially when you're not there

Please pass on this message and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Re: Message for Parents and snapchat users please read!

Post by josie andrews »

I don't use this, but I will copy it & put it on my FB account if you don't mind ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Message for Parents and snapchat users please read!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Please do Joise

I know a lot of people arent tech aware and i know personally parents with younger children whom could potentially put themselves at risk with this feature if they turn it on which they probably will.

I think its incredibly shortsighted of the firm and could lead to real problems.

For example i use it and i have a friend on there who isnt really a friend its just a girl i went to school with - like a lot of people have on facebook for example. I now know exactly where she lives, thats not right in my book.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure