Ideas/help required

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Morris

Ideas/help required

Post by Morris »

I have a severely disabled son Scott who turns 21 in November this year, he has cerebral palsy, autism and is wheelchair bound, despite this and being unable to speak he manages to get what he wants across using gestures and noises. He loves all things Rugby League and especially the Wigan Warriors. We however live about as far down in the Southeast as you can get in Ramsgate Kent, we have managed to watch Wigan quite a few times when the London Broncos were in Super League and Scott had his picture taken with Josh Charnley and Sam Tomkins in 2013 who are two of his favorite players when we came to see you play at the Stoop (An excellent ground for Wheelchair fans) and then came to our first 'home' game in 2015 when you played at Millwall, although this ground wasn't so wheelchair friendly.

This year as it's his 21st birthday we are going to bring him up to Wigan for our first ever game at the DW stadium on the 21st July. We are coming up on the Thursday and have booked a stadium tour for before the game but I'm looking for other things to do with a slightly autistic wheelchair bound lad in the area.

We have tickets in row a of the west stand so come and say hi on the 21st.
Kittwazzer

Re: Ideas/help required

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan Park is a must. One of the nicest parks in the borough with an excellent cafeteria.
Where have you booked into?
Morris

Post by Morris »

We've booked into the town centre premier inn and the park sounds like a good idea
dontshootthemessenger

Post by dontshootthemessenger »

under 19's play warrington u19's at 2.pm on the 22nd if you are still in Wigan then. Hope you all have a great time.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Yes, I'm sure he'd love to watch the under 19's on the Saturday, will I need to get tickets now or on the day?

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Morris wrote:We've booked into the town centre premier inn and the park sounds like a good idea
I stayed at the premier inn a few weeks ago and posted on trip advisor, good choice. Car park round back but one across road straight out the front door.
You'll be fine there and the breakfasts are good value.
Enjoy your first trip to the stadium and fingers crossed we do the winos!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
doc

Post by doc »

Morris wrote:Yes, I'm sure he'd love to watch the under 19's on the Saturday, will I need to get tickets now or on the day?
Pay on the gate for u19s/16s/reserves. Free if you have a season ticket which I guess you don't. Orrell is limited in terms of wheelchair access, as is Robin Park if fixture is moved there, but you should be ok.
Morris

Post by Morris »

doc wrote:
Morris wrote:Yes, I'm sure he'd love to watch the under 19's on the Saturday, will I need to get tickets now or on the day?
Pay on the gate for u19s/16s/reserves. Free if you have a season ticket which I guess you don't. Orrell is limited in terms of wheelchair access, as is Robin Park if fixture is moved there, but you should be ok.
Thanks to all for the information
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

We stay at the Wigan Town Centre Premier Inn all the time when we are down from Edinburgh . Good location and good value . Limited parking at the rear (3 disabled bays) but a large car park across the road from hotel . I presume you have a disabled parking badge but if not please be warned that Saturday parking charges kick in at 8:30 and guaranteed there will be Wardens there at 8:29 ready to pounce . £2 for all day parking Saturday . We are staying there for the Leeds game will give you and your lad a shout if we see you at the hotel .

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Morris

Post by Morris »

EDINBURGH-WARRI​OR​ wrote:We stay at the Wigan Town Centre Premier Inn all the time when we are down from Edinburgh . Good location and good value . Limited parking at the rear (3 disabled bays) but a large car park across the road from hotel . I presume you have a disabled parking badge but if not please be warned that Saturday parking charges kick in at 8:30 and guaranteed there will be Wardens there at 8:29 ready to pounce . £2 for all day parking Saturday . We are staying there for the Leeds game will give you and your lad a shout if we see you at the hotel .

Regards , EW
Cheers for the information hopefully we will get to see you at the hotel. We are going to be there for Thursday night and Friday night.