The sad story of how just TWO tables have sold for a charity dinner in honour of a

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

The sad story of how just TWO tables have sold for a charity dinner in honour of a

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: The sad story of how just TWO tables have sold for...

Post by BriH »

Sad but true Josie.
Never mind, Billy B is revered amonst us RL fans.
I was lucky enough to see The Great Man in his pomp.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Please people, don't propagate or preach anything to do with rugby union - this is yet another example of what they really feel about our game and treat our own.

Still these days, they have nothing but contempt for RL, despite what they might say on the surface. Wouldn't give them the time of day.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Disgusting

Switch it to the DW
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Reading that is very sad. It's not just rugby union that generally treats rugby league with contempt, it's the Establishment. Even though I don't subscribe to the honours system, I'm realiably informed that NOT ONE rugby league player in history has ever been knighted.

That honour, of course, is long overdue for the greatest ever name in our wonderful game. Considering the dross "honoured" these days, the man most deserving in my opinion, and that of countless others is...

Billy Boston.

F o Shed, rugby union IS part of the establishment. The majority of fans, players, definitely their officials at Twickers and around their game in general, and 100% the media at all levels.
doc

Post by doc »

To be fair, given BB made his name in a sport at a club based over 100 miles away from his own town 50 years ago I don't think it is that surprising, especially given the attitude of Welsh RU to him at the time. Billy was welcomed in Wigan and treated like royalty where as he was ostracised, presumably on racial grounds, by the powers that be in Welsh RU.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Fawdoffshed wrote:
doc wrote:To be fair, given BB made his name in a sport at a club based over 100 miles away from his own town 50 years ago I don't think it is that surprising, especially given the attitude of Welsh RU to him at the time. Billy was welcomed in Wigan and treated like royalty where as he was ostracised, presumably on racial grounds, by the powers that be in Welsh RU.
A good post. On top of that rugby league is way down the list of sports completely accepted by the good people of Wales and sadly a lot of them will not know really who Billy is or what greatness he achieved with the most famous rugby league club in the world.

Am I biased?

You bet I am.

Above two posts - fair comment each one.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Typical idiotic South Walians (sorry for the offence) but this is so stupid its idiotic.

Simple stage the bloody thing at Wrexham near the M62 corridor 30 minute approx. from Wigan and other RL areas and sell it out asap. Problem is (rant incoming) South Wales rugby union people have no idea of the importance of Billy Boston to rugby league and of his achievements. And Wrexham is in Wales but to the people of the WRU Wales stops at Swansea. Going to stop my rant now as this could make even Dave0 :D head spin.

Maybe South Wales are yet to discover Tinternet and the power of Wikipedia. :D

Can not believe the stupidity of staging a dinner for a Wigan and RL legend in Cardiff 250 miles or more away from the place he made his name. they could have even gone to Wigan with this or Wrexham and given him the night he deserved.

And the charity has patron's on it who would know that