Glenn Campbell RIP

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wandering Warrior

Glenn Campbell RIP

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Can't quite understand why I was ever attracted to this guy's music? Perhaps it was that his voice was so easy on the ears or may be his great guitar playing?
Wichita Lineman, a song for all time, with that marvellous, simplistic, guitar solo. Gone to enhance the Great Gig in the Sky.
RIP and thanks for some great tunes.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Re: Glenn Campbell RIP

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Can't quite understand why I was ever attracted to this guy's music? Perhaps it was that his voice was so easy on the ears or may be his great guitar playing?
Wichita Lineman, a song for all time, with that marvellous, simplistic, guitar solo. Gone to enhance the Great Gig in the Sky.
+1

RIP
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Apparently he'd lost a lot of weight by the end.

I've edited the last sentence as I find it a distasteful remark about someone's death - Josie
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

He was suffering from Altzheimars since 2011. Only ever saw him perform live once and that was in 2010 at the Lowry.
It was a poignant and yet joyful occasion all rolled into one!
Poignant in so much as his faculties were visibly on the wane yet joyful in that he still had the voice and guitar skills to do his songs as if by habit!
He was assisted in his band on that night by some of his children who are quality musicians, obviously making allowances for his shortcomings. He still though managed to bang out twenty odd songs to a sold out audience, including a Foo Fighters "Days Like These" cover and all the magnificent hits.
I thought at the time that gig may be my one and only chance to see him and proved so.
Interestingly I played Beach Boys Pet Sounds on the turntable last night, an album he played on, unknown hours later he'd be gone.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Peter252

Post by Peter252 »

Galveston. Just sheer class. RIP.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Can't quite understand why I was ever attracted to this guy's music? Perhaps it was that his voice was so easy on the ears or may be his great guitar playing?
+1

Class
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Peter252 wrote:Galveston. Just sheer class. RIP.
That's my favourite one of his R.I.P Rhinestone Cowboy
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Can't quite understand why I was ever attracted to this guy's music?
Perhaps it was real US "folk" music as opposed to the overtly commercial dross that we often hear out out under the country & western banner? I can't stand any of that but I certainly never felt the need to reach for the off switch if a song of his came on the radio. I'd find myself actually listening to it instead.

Not many artists can cross the musical divides like that so he must have had something special about him. RIP GC.

JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

One of my all time heroes
If anyone gets the chance please take some time out to watch "I'll be me".

Also, his 2009 (I think) album "Meet Glenn Campbell" is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Cover versions of hits by Travis, U2, Tom Petty, Foo Fighters and possibly my my favourite Greendays "Good Riddance/Time of your life".

A truly remarkable guitars player, singer and musician.

RIP