Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other forum)

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other forum)

Post by Wiganer Ted » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Time won't tell whether we make a mistake in leaving the EU.
Past experience tells us its a mistake.

From the end of the war to 1973 when we joined the Common Market it was an economic disaster.
We knew this from 1960 onwards and our exporters were telling politicians that our economic future was in Europe and the Common Market. They have been proved right. The UK's economic growth during that time was so slow to non existent that by 1973 the economies of Italy, France and West Germany were 30%, 50% and 75% larger than the UK's. Those countries had similar populations. When it comes to Brexit our major exporters don't want to know!

Anyone who thinks that leaving the wealthiest free trade area in the World is a good move is either deluded, lying or hopelessly mistaken. We won't get as good as free trade deal anywhere as good as the one we have with the EU. The language of "Control our Borders" is for fools. Watch the countries who we try to get FTD with like India etc they want hundreds of thousands of extra visas for their residents to live here permanently.
"Control of our Money" is another crackpot slogan! The UK's net payment to the EU in 2017 was £6.55bn. Gov't spending was £744bn in the same year. So we send .88% of 1% of Gov't spending to the EU. Hence we are "Controlling 99.2% of our spending".

We went through all this in 1975 with a referendum when the anti Common Market mob said we'd be better off outside the CM than in it. They were hopelessly wrong then and they are hopelessly wrong yet again!

SJ

Post by SJ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Wiganer Ted wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 pm
Time won't tell whether we make a mistake in leaving the EU.
Past experience tells us its a mistake.

From the end of the war to 1973 when we joined the Common Market it was an economic disaster.
We knew this from 1960 onwards and our exporters were telling politicians that our economic future was in Europe and the Common Market. They have been proved right. The UK's economic growth during that time was so slow to non existent that by 1973 the economies of Italy, France and West Germany were 30%, 50% and 75% larger than the UK's. Those countries had similar populations. When it comes to Brexit our major exporters don't want to know!

Anyone who thinks that leaving the wealthiest free trade area in the World is a good move is either deluded, lying or hopelessly mistaken. We won't get as good as free trade deal anywhere as good as the one we have with the EU. The language of "Control our Borders" is for fools. Watch the countries who we try to get FTD with like India etc they want hundreds of thousands of extra visas for their residents to live here permanently.
"Control of our Money" is another crackpot slogan! The UK's net payment to the EU in 2017 was £6.55bn. Gov't spending was £744bn in the same year. So we send .88% of 1% of Gov't spending to the EU. Hence we are "Controlling 99.2% of our spending".

We went through all this in 1975 with a referendum when the anti Common Market mob said we'd be better off outside the CM than in it. They were hopelessly wrong then and they are hopelessly wrong yet again!
Good post. But,to be pedantic your opening sentence is immediately contradicted by your second. The rest is your opinion to which your entitled

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 pm

SJ
If tha's goin fot be padantic thad best sort thi own Inglish out cos it's not reet good owd lad! :lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield

SJ

Post by SJ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:21 am

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:00 pm
SJ
If tha's goin fot be padantic thad best sort thi own Inglish out cos it's not reet good owd lad! :lol:
Nice one 🤓

Yes I understand Wiganese WW and realise that it also has its own grammar
Yes, and on reflection having taken your advice into consideration ,I realise I was being a little harsh on myself in using the expression "pedantic". It wasn't I was merely pointing out that the use of "past experience "is time relative. Thanks for your advise I will try harder in future!😜

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

SJ
Mek sure tha does o thal av fot av sum lines n thal av fot stop in at jackbit time! :)
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield

SJ

Post by SJ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm
SJ
Mek sure tha does o thal av fot av sum lines n thal av fot stop in at jackbit time! :)
Must confess that had me guessing until I remberef a little song my mother sang Wiggin peer. The bonneyist beauty spot in Lancasheer. Bright and breezie you can seeto the sea,to. the sea,to the sea and tower. Here's the jack bitman this is the place for thee. With the lads and lassies up here. Never mind the Isle o'Man Put thi jackbit in a can and cum,cum t' Wiggin Pier.
Surprising the older you get the further your memory stretches but what you did yesterday is soon forgotten.
Apologies to all Lancastrians. 🍷Cheers!

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:57 pm

At the risk of being pedantic, and further off thread, have you considered the use of Lancastrian?

It only struck me in the last couple of years that the term Lancastrian is from the Wars of the Roses, yet no-one uses Yorkist for a Yorkshireman.

Now in the said wars, Lancastrians and Yorkists were supporters of one branch of the royal family. They mostly didn't have any connection with the counties.

There's a battlefield at Towton, south of Tadcaster, and North of Sherburn-in-Elmet, on one of my favourite bike rides. It's where "the river ran red with the blood of English dead".

If you read the boards there, you'll see that the Lancastrians were from York and Tadcaster, presumably mostly Yorkshiremen. The Yorkist armies had marched up from Oxfordshire and Norfolk iirc.

Personally I'm proud to be a Lancashireman, but not a Lancastrian.

SJ

Post by SJ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm

We all have our cross to bear😹

medlocke

Post by medlocke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 am

Come on BoJo :D

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:55 am

medlocke wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 am
Come on BoJo :D
What a state this country is in if Boris is the best we can do........but then again the USA have Trump!

The world is being run by lunatics!

Welcome to the asylum 🤪🤪
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.