Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other forum)

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Caboosegg

Re: Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other forum)

Post by Caboosegg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Wintergreen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 am
^ Maybe, maybe not, but I still do not believe that 1 in 6 children in Wigan is going hungry.

Not sure how old you are Caboosegg, but I grew up in the 70's. Compared to that time, Wigan is like candytown. The amount of benefits/handouts and general "looking after" compared to then is mind boggling.

Even then, I saw proper hunger once. Just once.

Sorry but 1 in 6 my arse.
Only just 30 so i haven't grown up during the times you mention and personally will not really be effected, at the same time though whats counts as poverty has changed (for better or worse) and people are entitled to a certain level of comfort (look at what prisoners have access to these days)

So no maybe not 1-6 are in the level of poverty that existed in the 70s but plenty will be in struggling households were they don't get the nourishment they are meant to.

I do agree some of this is down to parents though, i drive through hagfold on my way back from work and the amount of top end cars/giant tvs/ motorbikes etc you see is a joke. If you can afford a brand new land rover you shouldnt be taking up council housing.
RL's biggest issue is the constant negativity of its own fans.

support verb [ (ENCOURAGE)

"to agree with and give encouragement to someone or something because you want him, her, or it to succeed"

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 pm

medlocke wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:26 pm
They've borrowed Comrade Corbyns magic money tree, The one labour didn't have when they caused austerity :D

You absolute banker.

medlocke

Post by medlocke » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Austerity is a political-economic term referring to policies that aim to reduce government budget deficits through spending cuts, tax increases, or a combination of both. Austerity measures are used by governments that find it difficult to pay the debts left by outgoing governments

jobo

Post by jobo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Wintergreen wrote:
^ Maybe, maybe not, but I still do not believe that 1 in 6 children in Wigan is going hungry.

Not sure how old you are Caboosegg, but I grew up in the 70's. Compared to that time, Wigan is like candytown. The amount of benefits/handouts and general "looking after" compared to then is mind boggling.

So you've researched it then?

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Wintergreen wrote:

"Brought up in the 70s?" "Proper hunger?" You were lucky. We were brought up in the 50s and had jam and bread with no jam! And we could only afford bread once a week...etc etc.

We could compete over definitions of relative poverty and compare one era with another. The fact is that countries like Holland, Germany and the Scandinavian countries don't have the level of homelessness, child poverty, inequality, deprivation that we have.

Furthermore, since 2010 we have been moving further away from European countries and closer to the USA in various measures of poverty, inequality, health care etc. I could look up figures and post a link, but what's the point when you can assess child poverty in Wigan whilst driving to work, and make accurate comparisons with 40-50 years ago?

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am

Johnson saying he will still carry on after losing the Vote of No Confidence is nonsense. He and his Gov't will resign.
It is not his Gov't anyway, it is "Her Majesties Government" The way a PM is appointed is that he/she conforms to the Queen that they can command a majority in the House of Commons. When the Commons confirms the Gov't does not command a majority then they are no longer the Gov't.
If Johnson does try to cling on I reckon the speaker will tell him to resign.
All good stuff is this!

Mind you we were told we were leaving March 29th and didn't so why should we believe we'll leave Oct 31st?

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Wiganer Ted wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am
Johnson saying he will still carry on after losing the Vote of No Confidence is nonsense. He and his Gov't will resign.
It is not his Gov't anyway, it is "Her Majesties Government" The way a PM is appointed is that he/she conforms to the Queen that they can command a majority in the House of Commons. When the Commons confirms the Gov't does not command a majority then they are no longer the Gov't.
If Johnson does try to cling on I reckon the speaker will tell him to resign.
All good stuff is this!

Mind you we were told we were leaving March 29th and didn't so why should we believe we'll leave Oct 31st?
It’s not even president Boris’s government it’s a slimy oppo the one in the shadows Cummings isn’t that him?

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Jeez, its not even brexit yet and the lights have gone out.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 am

Mike wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 pm
Jeez, its not even brexit yet and the lights have gone out.
Well I voted Remain, and still hope there is some way we can wake up and stay in.

The current situation is driven more by uncertainty though, than Brexit per se.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 pm

morley pie eater wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm
Wintergreen wrote:

"Brought up in the 70s?" "Proper hunger?" You were lucky. We were brought up in the 50s and had jam and bread with no jam! And we could only afford bread once a week...etc etc.

We could compete over definitions of relative poverty and compare one era with another. The fact is that countries like Holland, Germany and the Scandinavian countries don't have the level of homelessness, child poverty, inequality, deprivation that we have.

Furthermore, since 2010 we have been moving further away from European countries and closer to the USA in various measures of poverty, inequality, health care etc. I could look up figures and post a link, but what's the point when you can assess child poverty in Wigan whilst driving to work, and make accurate comparisons with 40-50 years ago?
But that's exactly my point Morley.

The poster didn't talk about relative poverty. He talked about hunger. i.e. absolute poverty.