Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other forum)

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
moto748

Re: Why we will be worse off through Brexit (Question from other...

Post by moto748 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Wiganer Ted wrote:Moto, when I mentioned we joined the EEA I was referring to 1973 when we joined the Common Market. The official name of the CM was European Economic Area.
Prior to that we were in EFTA with 5 other countries and had a Free Trade Agreement with them. There was also the Commonwealth with a FTA. We joined the CM as that was where the trade was as there was little trade in EFTA and Commonwealth.
Mate, I think you are getting slightly confused. Perhaps you meant the EEC, which was one of the old names for the EU, Common Market, whatever.

The EEA is a separate organisation, which links the EU and EFTA countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 am

Over forty refugees in dinghies reaching these shores in the last couple of days. How do we deal with these? Heard on LBC by a former authority head at Border Control that they rarely get sent back.
Currently we have co-operation with the French, I seriously doubt this will occur after Brexit? Why should the boatfolk be a French problem when they can be ours?
All in the pursuit of a blue passport, meanwhile the French economy passes ours in the World ratings and we drop another place whilst funding Indian space adventures!
The problems are much greater than the Brexiteers claim!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield

SJ

Post by SJ » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 am

You often remark disparigingly about other posters senescence but from the hysterical tripe you spout I think you reached your "hay flick limit" years ago

thegimble

Post by thegimble » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:44 am

Wandering Warrior wrote:Over forty refugees in dinghies reaching these shores in the last couple of days. How do we deal with these? Heard on LBC by a former authority head at Border Control that they rarely get sent back.
Currently we have co-operation with the French, I seriously doubt this will occur after Brexit? Why should the boatfolk be a French problem when they can be ours?
All in the pursuit of a blue passport, meanwhile the French economy passes ours in the World ratings and we drop another place whilst funding Indian space adventures!
The problems are much greater than the Brexiteers claim!
But they need someone to blame rather than blame consecutive British governments they just blame foreigners.

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 am

The UK will spend more than £100m chartering extra ferries to ease "severe congestion" at Dover, in the case of a no-deal Brexit.
Over the last few months, additional ferry contracts were awarded to French, Danish and British companies.
The contingency plans allow for almost 4,000 more lorries a week to come and go from other ports, including Plymouth, Poole, and Portsmouth
Happy Clapper Season ticket holder

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am

Dover/Calais are handling 12000 trucks a day.

If there isn't friction less trade then the south east won't cope with that number of trucks being stopped for checks. Non EU trucks going through Dover take 20 mins to clear customs with an ok load.

Sending ferries to ports like Portsmouth and Poole will be difficult enough and how many trucks could they handle? As for Plymouth, what's the sailing time from Calais to Plymouth? Then there's road time for all the trucks involved.

The more they discuss it and inform us of their plans it just seems that the politicians haven't a trucking clue.

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Contract awarded to a company that has no ferries or capital by the goverment,
I wonder which Tory MP is going to end up having large shares in this one.

14 mill to a shell corp to provide a service that they currently cant ????
Happy Clapper Season ticket holder

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:15 am

Caboosegg wrote:Contract awarded to a company that has no ferries or capital by the goverment,
I wonder which Tory MP is going to end up having large shares in this one.

14 mill to a shell corp to provide a service that they currently cant ????
Better than that, the company has zero experience in ferries :o

The sooner this stupid idea get's kicked into touch and a second referrendum held the better.

The problem is that 80% of people who voted to leave are too stupid to realise the problems it's causing. Two years worth of hearing their "justification" has confirmed that for me.

SJ

Post by SJ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:11 am

Ignorance is bliss mate. Besides I like being stupid. Blokes like you underestimate us. :lol:

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:14 pm

SJ wrote:You often remark disparigingly about other posters senescence but from the hysterical tripe you spout I think you reached your "hay flick limit" years ago
Keep smoking the caterpillars!
You've had your gig as I said before, there's no winners in this, the UK as a whole is the loser whichever way the cookie crumbles!!
As a nice little adage I see Farage has two kids with British and German passports. Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe Nigel is another that has had his gig and his feathering the nest nicely for his kids? Do as I do, not as I say eh SJ?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield