Going to the USA on holiday? Maybe leave the camera at home....

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

Re: Going to the USA on holiday? Maybe leave the camera at...

Post by josie andrews »

Stay safe!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Looks like Andy will be a rich man in the not so distant future
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:Looks like Andy will be a rich man in the not so distant future
Maybe but having just got back from the USA myself and having taken my dslr camera I am just glad I didn't point it as a cop :o

I did take a couple of shots of some US fire engines when some emergency occurred as we were walking around Boston (and about six of em took a wrong turn into a dead end...) but thankfully no one decided I was about to take a "shot" at the fire department!

I can't imagine this ever happening in the UK given the training firearms officers have but in the USA there are loads of local police forces with all officers routinely armed even if they are just employed to police the local shopping mall. Training? Not in the sense we might expect about when to shoot and when not etc.

Be interesting to see if the deputy gets away with it which he might given the victim's comments. Why you would want to send this deputy back out on the streets armed once more is beyond me.
He's just proved he is liable to shoot people without warning!

In the UK if the circumstances outlined are correct the officer would probably be headed for prison never mind dismissal. In the US you can find incidents worse than this where the officers got off and the trouble with that is, is it undermines people's confidence in the police.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fawdoffshed wrote:When I had served my two-year probation, I went on a pre-firearms course at Diggle. At the end of that course I realised just what destruction firearms caused. Needless to say, I didn't apply to be a Firearms at Manchester Airport, having first had the romantic notion that all would be well.

Horrible things, but alas, necessary.
Our next door neighbour has been a firearms police officer. He's an ex Royal Marine so I guess guns were pretty familiar to him anyway but the article about the shooting got me looking about the training side and I was surprised to see in these small US police forces just about anyone is let loose armed. I suppose I should not be so surprised given the prevalence of guns over there but I was.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fawdoffshed wrote:Our police are the best trained regarding firearms in the world and follow national guidelines which are severe. However, in the USA they are not quite as on the ball excepting New York and other large cities. Having said that they still don't hold a candle to our extremely highly trained firearms police. I do accept though that our police aren't quite as busy as over the pond. :cool:
Not so sure about NYC police being much better. It's not that long ago they shot an African immigrant 41 times when he went to get his wallet out for his ID. They were all charged with manslaughter or similar. They all got off.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Take your SLR with you( as long as it's a7. 62mm) you'll be fine ...... One hopes. ????