Interesting!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Interesting!

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
lucky 13

Re: Interesting!

Post by lucky 13 »

I imagine we have a contract with the stadium... maybe if they want rid of us for a price the purchase of Robin Park makes sense. The roads Parking and infrastructure already in place maybe they pay enough for us to make a nice purpose built stadium with standing and seating certainly room. New Central Park complete with ruverside club????
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wigan Athletic could be under new ownership by the end of the year after Hong Kong-based investors agreed a takeover deal worth in excess of £20m.

The sale of the League One leaders is now subject to due diligence and approval from the Football League.

Owner Dave Whelan took control in 1995 but the 80-year-old brought in former Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook earlier this year to find a buyer.

It is hoped a deal will be done before the January transfer window opens.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41648722

Somehow this IS going to affect the rugby - make no bones about that
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
jobo

Post by jobo »

Suppose it depends on just exactly what Dave Whelan is selling.

Think Wigan rugby have a 50 year lease in place, which without break clauses, means we are going nowhere soon.

Also £20,000,000, although a lot of money, doesn't appear to me to value Latics plus their holdings very highly and surely can't include the ground.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jobo wrote:Suppose it depends on just exactly what Dave Whelan is selling.

Think Wigan rugby have a 50 year lease in place, which without break clauses, means we are going nowhere soon.

Also £20,000,000, although a lot of money, doesn't appear to me to value Latics plus their holdings very highly and surely can't include the ground.
If the ground is included then someone is getting a bargain. But DW is no muppet. If he sells the Latics only and gets rent from 2 clubs its a win win for him.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Honestly I think what was it 15 mill or so offer for the latics is about the going rate, up till this season they've pretty much been in free-fall since their exit from the premiership I'll grant you Cook seems to have turned things round but still.

The DW cant be included in that price though surely, as for clauses I suspect if they do make it back to the promised land the new owners, if any wouldn't want to be bothered with RL we shall see though.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

thegimble wrote:

If the ground is included then someone is getting a bargain. But DW is no muppet. If he sells the Latics only and gets rent from 2 clubs its a win win for him.
thats what Whelan is good at. i worked at Rathbones when he bought that out from the Rathbone brothers. He sold the bakery to an Irish company but retained the land and from memory it was a 10 year deal - hence now there being houses on the old Rathbones bakery site

he was quick to get rid / rebrand the confectionary business but not sure what he did with the shops / local retail outlets apart from closing them all down and kicking out the then tenants
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

the pieman wrote:
thegimble wrote:

thats what Whelan is good at. i worked at Rathbones when he bought that out from the Rathbone brothers. He sold the bakery to an Irish company but retained the land and from memory it was a 10 year deal - hence now there being houses on the old Rathbones bakery site

he was quick to get rid / rebrand the confectionary business but not sure what he did with the shops / local retail outlets apart from closing them all down and kicking out the then tenants
Crikey, you make Uncle Dave sound like a bounder. ????