Apprenticeships.

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wandering Warrior

Apprenticeships.

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Interesting that apprenticeships have fallen in 2017 by 59% from the level in 2016.
I have noticed in the last ten years a massive decline in the number of folk coming into engineering so these facts come as no surprise.
The be all and end all for a while now is that the path to employment is via university. That's a great way to start employment but as I was told by a NHS friend of mine who used to manage a dementia ward, folk don't want to wipe rses anymore. If nobody is prepared to do that then we have to rely on foreign labour, who are now going back to their countries of origin or elsewhere in Europe. This exodus is only to be expected, perhaps Farage can sort it out?
I use the two examples above but I'm sure others can relate in their own situations.
So while we are preparing for pain to gain with Brexit, the undertones of no train, no gain, loom large.
More evidence then that your head is much better in the sand with fingers crossed at this moment in time.
:angry:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Fujiman

Re: Apprenticeships.

Post by Fujiman »

Do they still get Indentures when they come out of their time theses days?
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Think that stopped about thirty years ago?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote:Do they still get Indentures when they come out of their time theses days?
They quite often get the sack as there is no real job there for them at the end. Several acquaintances have had this experience with their kids.

That said the company I work for is considering taking on apprentices to train them to be computer programmers because we can't get enough Comp Sci graduates.

No idea how many but it may stem from the fact an ex-cleaner handed in his notice a while back and when asked why he said he was off to train in IT so they said why not do it with us and gave him a job as an apprentice!