Football?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Football?

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Should have finished off their chances in the first half.
Could have been two or three goals up by half times.

As for the hype, well two wins and that's what we get.
Same in RL. Two decades Stevo told us that we were getting closer to the Aussies. Some believed him, some didn't. Results against the Roos said what they said. The last times we beat them was 2006.

Gary Neville said that only 30% of Premier League are English and that is a major part of the problem. Just shows how clubs get around the "club trained" rules.
As for all the money swilling about in the game, it does look well when Wembley has to be sold to fund grass roots level.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

4 Generations wrote:Well,is it me.
Media Brainwashed into believing we have done so well.I am all for feel good factor for the greater good,but come on.

The group stages

Tunisia 1-2 England.Tunisia are not exactly top rate.We should smash them in all honesty.Easy start and we made hard work of it in the end.
England 6-1 Panama.I am quite confident.I could pick a side from the park and give them a run or the local wrestling club.How the hell have they qualified.

England 0-1 Belgium.A nothing game as we have now qualified,so have Belgium.LOST to a load of reserves[a decent quality though].Poor decision to play our B Side.They looked like a B Side and lost an opportunity to build some real momentum for me.Same old England here.

Round 16

Columbia 1-1 England .Lucky not to eventually get done and then just scrape through on penalty's.Against a side that didn't actually play football for most of the 90mins.

Quaters

Sweden 0-2 England.Best result of the comp so far,but realistically,,,,,name 3 Swedish footballers,i couldn't. Hardly playing Brazil.

Semi Final
Croatia 2-1 England. Ok,score a second goal and perhaps things may just be reading better in Today's papers.First real side of any note and we get done.Two soft goals by Croatia and two or three more they should have netted,but for some scramble and luck.

Summary
I hope a very young England side fullfill the get out of jail promises of,,we will be better in 2022,,Building for the future.Which the FA have been building longer than most can remember or been alive.Score some goals in open play and finish your chances may help.I for one dont buy it at all and haven't been brain washed.The mugs who bought into,, footballs coming Home,,The tattoo shops charging £350 for NEXT TIME.When he gets back from 3month in Barbados

4G :eusa1:
PS,what a waste of Beer.
Perhaps if you had just put you don't like football you'd have saved the segs on your finger ends?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Media Brainwashed into believing we have done so well.I am all for feel good factor for the greater good,but come on.

The group stages

Tunisia 1-2 England.Tunisia are not exactly top rate.We should smash them in all honesty.Easy start and we made hard work of it in the end.
England 6-1 Panama.I am quite confident.I could pick a side from the park and give them a run or the local wrestling club.How the hell have they qualified.

England 0-1 Belgium.A nothing game as we have now qualified,so have Belgium.LOST to a load of reserves[a decent quality though].Poor decision to play our B Side.They looked like a B Side and lost an opportunity to build some real momentum for me.Same old England here.

Round 16

Columbia 1-1 England .Lucky not to eventually get done and then just scrape through on penalty's.Against a side that didn't actually play football for most of the 90mins.

Quaters

Sweden 0-2 England.Best result of the comp so far,but realistically,,,,,name 3 Swedish footballers,i couldn't. Hardly playing Brazil.

Semi Final
Croatia 2-1 England. Ok,score a second goal and perhaps things may just be reading better in Today's papers.First real side of any note and we get done.Two soft goals by Croatia and two or three more they should have netted,but for some scramble and luck.

Summary
I hope a very young England side fullfill the get out of jail promises of,,we will be better in 2022,,Building for the future.Which the FA have been building longer than most can remember or been alive.Score some goals in open play and finish your chances may help.I for one dont buy it at all and haven't been brain washed.The mugs who bought into,, footballs coming Home,,The tattoo shops charging £350 for NEXT TIME.When he gets back from 3month in Barbados

PS,what a waste of Beer.
Perhaps if you had just put you don't like football you'd have saved the segs on your finger ends?
He is spot on though
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:

The group stages

Round 16

Quaters

Semi Final

Summary

PS,what a waste of Beer.
He is spot on though
Agreed,a fair and honest assesment of the World Cup
Wandering Warrior

Gimble
He/she may well be but sounds like there's a dislike of football.
I have enjoyed an open tournament with some twists along the way.
Very often I ask myself why they get paid so much but why does anybody get paid what they do?
It's the most popular sport in the World but like it or loathe it, it ain'nt going away anytime soon!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

4 generations assessment is both perhaps a little harsh but also in the summary, spot on.

I see a lot of posts on various newspaper sports forums how the wins were nothing much so I say harsh because you can only play what is in front of you and up until last night England did what they had to do. Qualify for the knockout and beat the teams they then played against.

No one would have complained if we had beat Croatia on penalties and got to the final.

As soon as some of the expected tougher teams in England's side of the draw got knocked out it opened up for them and I saw no reason for them not get to the final but that is why, teams got knocked out who I didn't think England could beat.

This is where the summary is right as there is a danger is people will be thinking this team is better than it is.

Southgate got more from a team of average players than past England managers have got from more gifted players but at the end of the day they still were not good enough to beat a team from a small country like Croatia. With soccer in the UK awash with money we still can't put a team together that isn't winging it when it does well and is thought of as a genuine threat based on its actual talent and skills.

There is now talk that this is just the start for England. Why? If this young team is going to be the core of the side in four years time why will the result be any different? They will have some more experience but unless England find a De Bruyne cloan and a few other gifted players to go with him it will be Southgate once again trying to coax more from the team than it has.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Gimble
He/she may well be but sounds like there's a dislike of football.
I have enjoyed an open tournament with some twists along the way.
Very often I ask myself why they get paid so much but why does anybody get paid what they do?
It's the most popular sport in the World but like it or loathe it, it ain'nt going away anytime soon!

Going away its not an i am glad for that. Seems you like the excitement but I rather the quality.

This world cup is on par with 90 and 94 exciting at times but lacking in real quality. Or put it this way the groups are the SL weekly rounds followed with the knockouts which get exciting but standard is not that high. And we know SL atm is not great.

None of the 4 semi finalists would beat the top 4 or 5 in the premier league nevermind la liga. Standard of international football has dropped in the last 4 years.

At least they found Harry Kane who after 35min was reported missing. Found in the back pocket of Lovren along with Messi from the world cup and Ronaldo from the CL final.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I can't remember a better Final. Just brilliant.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Thoroughly enjoyed this world cup.

Just a pity we didn't make it to the final.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It was an odd World Cup,looking from the outside,my love affair with the game died years ago,the usual suspect all went home early which of course helps England march to the semi final,the hysteria that was way over the top,this side was bang average it seemed to me,nothing wrong with that until you think of the cash the sloshes around our game,a semi final should be minimum if of course the Premier league had the national sides interest at heart,which it doesn’t and will continue to spend stupid amounts of players no one has heard of and no one will want once they fail here.

The harsh truth is this once this side came across a side who you could consider decent beat them,Belgium twice and Croatia,it tells it own story really,still I hope Southgate carries on he may mood a side who knows or it could be another false dawn much like 1990,thing is though you can mood a side that is fairly average into a side that can win things..look to rugby league and look to Wigan and see how well our side has done.

So who knows I hope the lad gets the chance to find out.