Lancashire Dialect

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
ancientnloyal

Re: Lancashire Dialect

Post by ancientnloyal »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 am My sister got a Lancashire Dialect book for Xmas, quite a good read too and many phrases I’ve not heard of and really shows the differences between Bolton, Wigan, Preston etc despite the relative proximities.

Worth a search online for if, couple of quid tops
Sounds good A&L. Can you give us the title & author so we can search for it please?

Thanks, owd lad.

I had a 90-odd year old uncle and auntie in Hindley. My sons were in their teens when we went to see them. There was a crash from the kitchen, uncle went through and we just heard him say "Er's fawed overr!"

After my auntie died, he always praised my sister for taking him shopping. "Er teks mi ter t'Sparrr int carrr."

He'd buy her a pie for taking him, but in school holidays she'd take her son with her and it was downgraded to 2 mini sausage rolls!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancashire-Eng ... 0902920979
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:32 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 am My sister got a Lancashire Dialect book for Xmas, quite a good read too and many phrases I’ve not heard of and really shows the differences between Bolton, Wigan, Preston etc despite the relative proximities.

Worth a search online for if, couple of quid tops
Sounds good A&L. Can you give us the title & author so we can search for it please?

Thanks, owd lad.

I had a 90-odd year old uncle and auntie in Hindley. My sons were in their teens when we went to see them. There was a crash from the kitchen, uncle went through and we just heard him say "Er's fawed overr!"

After my auntie died, he always praised my sister for taking him shopping. "Er teks mi ter t'Sparrr int carrr."

He'd buy her a pie for taking him, but in school holidays she'd take her son with her and it was downgraded to 2 mini sausage rolls!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancashire-Eng ... 0902920979
Thanks, ah've getten it.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Sorry A&L, I meant I've got you info and ordered the book. Thanks again for your help.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
BriH

Post by BriH »

As some of you will know I'm a 'Marra frae Whiteheven'!
However, I lived in Warrington from 1981-1985 when I worked for BNFL at Risley.
I remember very well asking for a 'tea cake' and getting a barmcake!! Took a while to get used to the accent and vice versa I'm sure.
Still love to hear the Wigan and Lancashire accent. Much better than the Yorky!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

A tea cake isn’t a barmcake, a barmcake is a barmcake. Not a roll or a muffin, a barmcake
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm As an exile since the age of 15, I've always missed the Lancashire dialect. Sadly, it seems that it's in decline if not dying out.

Wi winter eer, t'childer met be slurring. Tha could faw ooer, cos t'snows wurse thun slutch.

Words like Thrutch, Fratching, Yedwaerch, and simple greetings "Neaw then, 'eaw tha gooin on owd lad?" are completely foreign here in darkest Yorkshire.

Now I'm an owd mon misel, I get nostalgic for some proper talk.

By the way, my grandad was the original Barm Joe. He supplied barm (yeast) from a hand-cart in the days when everybody baked their own bread at home. His shop was on Chapel Green Road in Hindley (top of Argyle Street), taken over by my dad when his dad died in 1936.
Me mum lived in Argyle Street and went to that school.
They then moved to Platt Lane.
When I wer a lad me grandad lived in Platt Lane, same house, and me uncle lived next door and former Bolton player Syd Farrimond lived the other side.
Sid Abram was a big mate of my Uncle Tommy.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
morley pie eater

Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm As an exile since the age of 15, I've always missed the Lancashire dialect. Sadly, it seems that it's in decline if not dying out.

Wi winter eer, t'childer met be slurring. Tha could faw ooer, cos t'snows wurse thun slutch.

Words like Thrutch, Fratching, Yedwaerch, and simple greetings "Neaw then, 'eaw tha gooin on owd lad?" are completely foreign here in darkest Yorkshire.

By the way, my grandad was the original Barm Joe. He supplied barm (yeast) from a hand-cart in the days when everybody baked their own bread at home. His shop was on Chapel Green Road in Hindley (top of Argyle Street), taken over by my dad when his dad died in 1936.
When I wer a lad me grandad lived in Platt Lane, same house, and me uncle lived next door and former Bolton player Syd Farrimond lived the other side.
Neaw then, WW, tha're talkin my language 'ere:

I was born above my dad's shop at t'top of Argyle St (address is actually Chapel Green Road). It was known as "the penny dip" at one time, and belonged to my grandad since WW1.

I went to Argyle St primary school from 1955 to 1962.

My other grandad lived on Platt Lane - at number 95, which is about 4 houses from the bottom (Atherton Road end), where Bullough's bakers shop was.

In 1974, I briefly worked for Clarington Coach and Haulage Company (old BRS depot on Wigan Road). Owned by Norman Bibby, ex Wigan chairman. Syd Abram, then about 70, used to fuel up the lorries with diesel as we got back at the end of the day
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 pm

syd used to have a paper shop in leigh and i went to school with there john
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Morley
My Grandad lived at 98 and my uncle at 96.
I think my cousin still lives at 96 but not seen him for years.
Used to have a kick about with my cousins at the back of them houses when I went round.
Syd came out on a couple of occasions when at his mum's and gave some encouragement.
Happy days!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
morley pie eater

Wandering Warrior wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:26 pm Morley
My Grandad lived at 98 and my uncle at 96.
I think my cousin still lives at 96 but not seen him for years.
Used to have a kick about with my cousins at the back of them houses when I went round.
Syd came out on a couple of occasions when at his mum's and gave some encouragement.
Happy days!!
What years are you talking, WW?
I was born 1951, and moved to Yorkshire in 1966 (though I had 6 months or so back in Hindley in 1974).

I hated school, but many happy memories of Hindley and Hindley Green.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐