Edwards in the news again for all the wrong reasons!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

Edwards in the news again for all the wrong reasons!

Post by josie andrews »

Warren Gatland tells Shaun Edwards he's sick of reading about him and demands he sorts out future

Warren Gatland has told Shaun Edwards to sort out his future and revealed he won't allow the saga over the defence coach's future to harm Wales' World Cup preparations.

Edwards is still mulling over a contract offer from Wales, with incoming Wales coach Wayne Pivac keen to bring him on board after his move to Wigan Warriors was called off.

The WRU deal had looked set to be signed and sealed earlier this month before negotiations hit a problem.

Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Martyn Phillips is still in the dark over whether Edwards will agree to take on a role alongside Byron Hayward, who is joining from the Scarlets.

The situation has been complicated further by France also targeting Edwards to become their defence mastermind following the World Cup.

Gatland and Edwards worked together at Wasps before linking up with Wales 11 years ago.

But Gatland didn’t hold back when asked if the saga was a distraction, laying the blame with Edwards.

"That’s a really good point," he replied, before pointing out: "It’s been going on for a few weeks.

"I’ve had one very brief conversation with Shaun about what he was doing. He said he wasn’t quite sure. That was pretty much the extent of it.

"Ideally you’d like that decision to be made pretty quickly whether he’s staying in Wales, going to France, going to England, or whatever he’s doing.

"It’s more of an issue for the WRU, Wayne Pivac, and Shaun to deal with. If it does go on any longer, then I think it would be a distraction.

"I have to be honest and say I’m sick of reading about it in the newspapers every day.

"I can let that go at the moment because we’re not in here as a squad, but if it goes on much longer then I will be having some words with people to get it sorted out because there has been enough speculation and talk that has gone on.

"Someone needs to make a decision. It’s not up to Martyn [Phillips], it’s up to Shaun Edwards.

"The Union have made an offer and they’ve made it in good faith. I think Shaun has to make his mind up where he’s going.

"It’s a difficult one for us because when you’re negotiating with people you try and be fair and the coaches understand that.

"We all thought Shaun had agreed terms with Wigan and that somehow changed.

He came back into the frame and sometimes when you give people a contract offer, you give them a time limit.

"If the Union gives Shaun a time limit now of 24 to 48 hours and that elapses, and he doesn’t agree, the Union look bad because Shaun can say 'the contract was pulled from beneath me'.

"It’s a waiting game at the moment and we will see what decision he makes.

"It’s not something I would put up with."

Gatland said he wants the future of Edwards to be thrashed out before Wales’ World Cup training squad begin formal preparation on May 27.

“It’s not affecting us at the moment because we’re not in camp and the players are with the regions."

But he stressed: "We come into camp over the next four to six weeks and presumably it will be well and truly sorted by then.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... _walesmain
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Edwards in the news again for all the wrong reasons!

Post by medlocke »

Shown himself up good and proper now, Hope it all goes tits up and he ends up coaching at Cornish Pirates
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

The thing is that Wayne Pavac brought his own defensive coach and so Edwards was out of a job. now he is only being offered a job alongside the new defensive coach, which understandably he doesn't fancy.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Cornish Pirates Meds. ? Give um a break 😇
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Cock, hope it goes tits up and he ends up selling Cornish Pasties.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Cornish pasties!. Devon Pasties and Lancashire Pasties are much better. Wigan, Warrington are geographically still in Lancashire as is Barrow and Widnes as far I'm concerned. Don't know about the Widnes close to you. Meds. 🤓🍺
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

But,but he’s a legend,man of his word isn’t he?

You reap what you sow in life and he would make a very good Cornish Pastie salesman
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

SJ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:45 pm Cornish pasties!. Devon Pasties and Lancashire Pasties are much better. Wigan, Warrington are geographically still in Lancashire as is Barrow and Widnes as far I'm concerned. Don't know about the Widnes close to you. Meds. 🤓🍺
Just spent day in Barrow, Pies deffo better in Millom
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Edwards rejects Wales RU offer

He made a U-turn on his commitment to coach Wigan Warriors and now Shaun Edwards has rejected a contract offer to remain with Wales beyond this year's World Cup.

Edwards' 11-year stay with the Grand Slam champions will come to an end after this autumn's World Cup, when Warren Gatland will also stand down as head coach.

"After more than 10 years with Wales this has been an incredibly difficult decision to reach but I won't be renewing my contract," Edwards said.

Edwards, considered among the game's foremost defence coaches, has been linked with roles with England and France following a successful Six Nations in which Wales conceded the fewest number of points and tries.

The 52-year-old had verbally agreed to become head coach of rugby league club Wigan from 2020 but after requesting more time to consider his future in March, he chose not to take up the position.

"We have won four Six Nations titles during my time with Wales, but I sincerely hope and believe that the best days are yet to come and I am fully focused on seeing what we can achieve in Japan," Edwards said.

"I would like to thank Warren and the WRU for the opportunity I have had working with the national team."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/shaun- ... -1-9744560
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

From what I read it seems Wales RU also thought he had agreed to continue with them after the world cup.

Maybe be should become a plumber, he seems to be an expert at doing dodgy U-Turns.