BBC high salaries 'are backed by public because big stars are entertaining'

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

BBC high salaries 'are backed by public because big stars are entertaining'

Post by josie andrews »

The BBC director general Lord Hall made the claims ahead of the publication of details of its biggest earners

The public backs the BBC giving high salaries to "big stars" because they are "talented and entertaining", the director-general has said ahead of the corporation's annual report.

The BBC will publish details of its biggest earners on Tuesday in its report, the first since announcing it would be scrapping the universal free TV licence for over-75s.

Lord Hall, who has held the role at the corporation since 2013, said that it was spending "more than ever on content, but the amount we have spent proportionally on talent has come down".

"Whenever we ask the public whether they want big stars on the BBC they say yes," he said.

"They say yes because they are talented and entertaining. They also say yes as it means they are getting big value from the BBC.”

Read more https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... d-17327105
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: BBC high salaries 'are backed by public because big stars are entertaining'

Post by josie andrews »

What a fecking disgrace? No one is worth that amount of money! 😡 No wonder the bloody country is in the state it's in!

I don't watch terrestrial tv but still have to pay for a licence just because my tv can receive it! 😡😡
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

7% of the population go to private school. Around 50% of top paid BBC staff went to private school. Not to mention the BBC governors.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 54491.html
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Bloody Vanessa feltz being paid £350 k a year?

Jesus wept the woman has no discernible talent,phones that morning show in on radio 2 and the odd times she sits in for Jeremy vine usually talks over callers

Terrible waste of money
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:What a fecking disgrace? No one is worth that amount of money! [emoji35] No wonder the bloody country is in the state it's in!

I don't watch terrestrial tv but still have to pay for a licence just because my tv can receive it! [emoji35][emoji35]
No you don’t. If you do not watch any live TV (ITV, BBC etc) when broadcast and do not use BBC iPlayer you do not need a TV license. You can even use catch up services of any of the broadcasters to watch their programs after they have broadcast without a Tv license.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/util ... edtoknow-1

As to these salaries being a disgrace I saw it reported today if they put all the million pound plus earners onto £150k a year it would save £20m.

So anyone looking to save £740m for free licenses for the over 75’s by not paying the “talent” million pound salaries needs to look elsewhere.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 pm
josie andrews wrote:What a fecking disgrace? No one is worth that amount of money! [emoji35] No wonder the bloody country is in the state it's in!

I don't watch terrestrial tv but still have to pay for a licence just because my tv can receive it! [emoji35][emoji35]
No you don’t. If you do not watch any live TV (ITV, BBC etc) when broadcast and do not use BBC iPlayer you do not need a TV license. You can even use catch up services of any of the broadcasters to watch their programs after they have broadcast without a Tv license.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/util ... edtoknow-1

As to these salaries being a disgrace I saw it reported today if they put all the million pound plus earners onto £150k a year it would save £20m.

So anyone looking to save £740m for free licenses for the over 75’s by not paying the “talent” million pound salaries needs to look elsewhere.
Stephen watches bbc 1 & 2 ☹️

And of course I watch or record live SL 😳
moto748

Post by moto748 »

We don't live in a meritocracy, and we never did. But our ire is directed more at the most visible; TV bigwigs like Jonathan Ross and, of course, sportsmen, especially footballers (Remember how people used to bang on about how overpaid David Beckham was? But they never said that about Tiger Woods). Because, in part, the perception is that it is *our* money that pays for their lavish lifestyles. But that doesn't really make the BBC the bad guy here, any more than they are for not extending free licences for the over 75s, because in a breath-taking piece of cynicism, the govt seized on the opportunity to dump the financial responsibility on the BBC, rather than on the State where it belongs, knowing that the BBC would take the public opprobrium when they decided to stop it.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The Gov't has already reduced the funding to the BBC by £500m. They are now dumping the responsibility for the free TV licences onto the BBC. When Brown introduced the free tv licences he provided the money, this Govt refuses to fund it then say it's the BBC's fault they can't afford it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's a cheap trick, but it works: the BBC gets the blame, in the minds of the majority of the public, and the govt 'saves' money. It's a win-win!