Friday - 200th anniversary of Peterloo

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
morley pie eater

Friday - 200th anniversary of Peterloo

Post by morley pie eater »

Friday's game v Wire falls on the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre.

Too many people have never been told of this shameful episode in Britain's history.

Today (Monday) I emailed M McLoughlin as follows:
Hi Mr McLoughlin

I have my ticket for Friday's match and just realised that on 16th August 1819, 200 years to the day, the Peterloo Massacre occurred.

Tens of thousands of people converged on Manchester in a peaceful demonstration for democracy/voting reform. They were attacked by mounted troops, slashing at the crowds with sabres. 18 were killed and many injured.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

Not only would a good number of these protestors be from the Wigan area, but their cause, shared by all classes, was particularly aimed at benefitting the miners and mill workers who were typical of Wigan's population at that time, and from whose roots Wigan RLFC, and Rugby League itself, grew.

The opportunity to remember this, perhaps with a minute's silence or minute's applause, is one the club shouldn't miss. The fact that "Peterloo" is not more widely known in areas like Wigan (the lady who answered the phone and gave me your email address had never heard of it), is a shameful reflection of the attempt to airbrush these despicable events from our history. A brief memorial on Friday would help put this right 200 years after the event.

I realise that we're only 4 days from the match, but appeal to you as a fan for over 55 years to "do the right thing" and remember Peterloo.
I guess it's a bit late for them to include something in the pre-match build-up, but a few supporting emails to the club may help:

M.mcloughlin@wiganwarriors.com
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Re: Friday - 200th anniversary of Peterloo

Post by jobo »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 pm Friday's game v Wire falls on the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre.

Too many people have never been told of this shameful episode in Britain's history.

Hi Mr McLoughlin

I have my ticket for Friday's match and just realised that on 16th August 1819, 200 years to the day, the Peterloo Massacre occurred.

Tens of thousands of people converged on Manchester in a peaceful demonstration for democracy/voting reform. They were attacked by mounted troops, slashing at the crowds with sabres. 18 were killed and many injured.

Not only would a good number of these protestors be from the Wigan area, but their cause, shared by all classes, was particularly aimed at benefitting the miners and mill workers who were typical of Wigan's population at that time, and from whose roots Wigan RLFC, and Rugby League itself, grew.

The opportunity to remember this, perhaps with a minute's silence or minute's applause, is one the club shouldn't miss. The fact that "Peterloo" is not more widely known in areas like Wigan (the lady who answered the phone and gave me your email address had never heard of it), is a shameful reflection of the attempt to airbrush these despicable events from our history. A brief memorial on Friday would help put this right 200 years after the event.

I realise that we're only 4 days from the match, but appeal to you as a fan for over 55 years to "do the right thing" and remember Peterloo.
I guess it's a bit late for them to include something in the pre-match build-up, but a few supporting emails to the club may help:

Have you had a reply Morley?
morley pie eater

jobo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 pm Friday's game v Wire falls on the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre.

Hi Mr McLoughlin

Have you had a reply Morley?
Only sent email just before my post. I'll let you know if I get a reply.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

There is actually a 2019 film about this historical event.

An Amazon Original film titled "Peterloo"
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

An excellent idea and hope the club can do something as a remeberance. I watched the film last night it must have been horrific to be in that and one of the actors with his wife said they had made the trip from Wigan , so i would say there was definatley people from around our area who made the journey to that dreadfull event
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

morley pie eater

Update: No reply received as of almost 6pm Tuesday 13th.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

I appreciate that my suggestion re Peterloo was late, but pity it's been ignored.

Apparently there were 50 former players forming a guard of honour. Did they get a mention?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:33 pm There is actually a 2019 film about this historical event.

An Amazon Original film titled "Peterloo"
Watched it recently. A group marching from Wigan feature for a bit.
morley pie eater

Percy Shelley wrote "The Masque of Anarchy" on hearing about the Peterloo Msssacre. This is part of a long poem:

"Stand ye calm and resolute,
Like a forest close and mute,
With folded arms and looks which are
Weapons of unvanquished war.

And if then the tyrants dare,
Let them ride among you there;
Slash, and stab, and maim and hew;
What they like, that let them do.

With folded arms and steady eyes,
And little fear, and less surprise,
Look upon them as they slay,
Till their rage has died away:

Then they will return with shame,
To the place from which they came,
And the blood thus shed will speak
In hot blushes on their cheek:

Rise, like lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you:
Ye are many—they are few!"

It's thought to be the first recorded reference to the idea of non-violent resistance in modern times.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

Many of the Cavaly regts We're from the Wigan areaWigan area Wigan V Wigan. Nothing changes!The local Yeomen commanded by Gerard of Ashton in Makerfield. I believe