Friday - 200th anniversary of Peterloo

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
jobo

Re: Friday - 200th anniversary of Peterloo

Post by jobo »

SJ wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:33 pm Many of the Cavaly regts We're from the Wigan areaWigan area Wigan V Wigan. Nothing changes!The local Yeomen commanded by Gerard of Ashton in Makerfield. I believe
Interesting. Can you point to any sources SJ?
SJ

Post by SJ »

Sorry I can't Jobo. Just something that sprung to mind. Can't gaurantee it's provinance I'm afraid.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Was it Lenin who said, a bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end of it.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Morley
A nice reminder there . Many, many! years ago I when I first joined Dunlop as a newly qualified accountant it was the custom for Dunlop to put you into the internal audit department so that you got sent around a wide variety of different companies in the group.
With my cultured Wigan accent I was put in the internal audit group in Manchester based in was the general rubber goods division in Cambridge Street.
A lot of the factory warehousing was under the railway arches of the line coming into Piccadilly. Those very same units were where the barracks from which the Calvary rode out to the Peterloo fields back in 1819, although obviously not at the time as the railway line hadn't yet been invented!
Even stranger was the fact that my very first audit was being sent to the Dunlopillo factory, now deceased and moved to Oldham, was at Pannal just outside Harrogate. Some 17 years later after my time in the colonies and eastern Europe lo and behold we ended up moving to Burn Bridge just a mile away from the old Dunlopillo works.
Even even stranger I now find myself as a Parish Councillor objecting to the site developers turning the 1960s office block into high cost apartments, the battle continues even though it will probably end in a bloody defeat just like Peterloo.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:31 am Morley
A nice reminder there . Many, many! years ago I when I first joined Dunlop as a newly qualified accountant it was the custom for Dunlop to put you into the internal audit department so that you got sent around a wide variety of different companies in the group.
With my cultured Wigan accent I was put in the internal audit group in Manchester based in was the general rubber goods division in Cambridge Street.
A lot of the factory warehousing was under the railway arches of the line coming into Piccadilly. Those very same units were where the barracks from which the Calvary rode out to the Peterloo fields back in 1819, although obviously not at the time as the railway line hadn't yet been invented!
Even stranger was the fact that my very first audit was being sent to the Dunlopillo factory, now deceased and moved to Oldham, was at Pannal just outside Harrogate. Some 17 years later after my time in the colonies and eastern Europe lo and behold we ended up moving to Burn Bridge just a mile away from the old Dunlopillo works.
Even even stranger I now find myself as a Parish Councillor objecting to the site developers turning the 1960s office block into high cost apartments, the battle continues even though it will probably end in a bloody defeat just like Peterloo.
Thanks for that, Ian.

Funnily enough I worked for Dunlop for 6 years in the 70s/80s. I was at the Slazenger/Puma warehouse at Batley. I like to think that I may even have played a tiny part in getting Puma to consider sponsoring Wigan! Derek Ibbotson, the former runner, was manager of Puma, and the department I worked in dealt with him a lot, so I put a word in for Wigan being the up-and-coming team about the time we got promoted from Division 2.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:23 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:31 am Morley
Thanks for that, Ian.

Funnily enough I worked for Dunlop for 6 years in the 70s/80s. I was at the Slazenger/Puma warehouse at Batley. I like to think that I may even have played a tiny part in getting Puma to consider sponsoring Wigan! Derek Ibbotson, the former runner, was manager of Puma, and the department I worked in dealt with him a lot, so I put a word in for Wigan being the up-and-coming team about the time we got promoted from Division 2.
Never got to Batley but I did an audit at the Slazenger factory at Horbury, and the shoe factory in Liverpool before moving out of audit into the golf ball factory at Speke in Liverpool before I got sent out to a tyre factory in Ndola in Zambia before moving up to Dunlop Kenya in Nairobi. I went up for a job interview there on new years eve 1974 flying from Ndola on Zambia Airways one and only DC8. We were in the air crossing into east african time from central african time at midnight and the pilot organised champagne for all 8! passengers on the flight.
Being a clean living lad who never touched drink and only occasionally touched the local girls! I rejected this and asked for a coke, full fat in those days as they had not yet invented diet coke and a few minutes later the Captain came out of the cockpit to see which eccentric passenger had rejected his champagne!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Sounds like fun, Ian.

Batley was a satellite to Horbury, though (thanks to Puma) Batley still survives. Puma was always a separate, and more successful company, with Slazengers doing their sales/distribution. Derek Ibbotson was employed by Puma, so didn't allow it to get dragged down by a collapsing Dunlop/Slazenger.
The sports club at Horbury was great - we played cricket, bowls and table tennis there, had inter-department tournaments every year. Probably a housing estate now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐