Not long to wait now.

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
ian.birchall

Not long to wait now.

Post by ian.birchall »

Now it is Sir Geoffrey it surely cannot be long before its Sir Kev??? :P
What do you think Morley? Surely long overdue??
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jobo

Re: Not long to wait now.

Post by jobo »

Think you'd need something other than a Tory prime minister for Saint Kevin to get a knighthood.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm Now it is Sir Geoffrey it surely cannot be long before its Sir Kev??? :P
Can't see anyone in RL ever getting a knighthood. Personally, my heroes are the ones who refused honours, like LS Lowry.

Coincidentally, Ian, I once met "Sir" Geoffrey briefly, and he proved himself to be an obnoxious man - not to me, but to my boss who was a lifelong Yorkshire CC member and devoted follower.

I'm sure Sinfield is a good bloke (and he's a Lancashireman).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:52 pm Now it is Sir Geoffrey it surely cannot be long before its Sir Kev??? :P
Can't see anyone in RL ever getting a knighthood. Personally, my heroes are the ones who refused honours, like LS Lowry.

Coincidentally, Ian, I once met "Sir" Geoffrey briefly, and he proved himself to be an obnoxious man - not to me, but to my boss who was a lifelong Yorkshire CC member and devoted follower.

David Bowie and Hank Marvin, top guys!
I'll never get one driving an oid Honda Accord!?! :lol:
Yorkies are Lankies with their brains kicked out!! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm pleased to agree with you but tell Morley he's a Lancastran I have told him before he'll probably take the info from you WW as a Lancastrian 😄
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

SJ wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:22 pm
Wandering Warrior wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm pleased to agree with you but tell Morley he's a Lancastran I have told him before he'll probably take the info from you WW as a Lancastrian 😄
He know's where I'm coming from, he lived in the same street as my mum at one point in time, just round the corner from George Formby's house!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Head to M1 junction 47, turn left on the B1217, past Lotherton Hall. A few miles further along, at the top of the hill before it drops down to Towton, pull into the lay-by and see the boards telling the story of the battle of Towton Moor. To your left is Cock Beck, of which Shakespeare said "the river ran red with the blood of English dead" - indeed it did: this is believed to be the bloodiest battle ever fought on English soil.

During the Wars of the Roses, the Yorkist armies had marched from Norfolk and Gloucestershire via Oxford and Ferrybridge. The Lancastrians, though led by the Duke of Somerset, raised the bulk of their 25,000+ army from York and Tadcaster, those well-known Lancashire towns just north of Chorley and Accrington.

The Dukes of York and Lancaster, sons of previous kings, were Normans fighting for the throne of England.

Now since I'm neither a Norman nor a Royalist, it matters little to me what happened in a battle about 550 years ago. Hence the name Lancastrian is no more relevant or appropriate than Yorkist for someone from Yorkshire.

I'm a proud Lancashireman :!:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:48 pm Head to M1 junction 47, turn left on the B1217, past Lotherton Hall. A few miles further along, at the top of the hill before it drops down to Towton, pull into the lay-by and see the boards telling the story of the battle of Towton Moor. To your left is Cock Beck, of which Shakespeare said "the river ran red with the blood of English dead" - indeed it did: this is believed to be the bloodiest battle ever fought on English soil.

During the Wars of the Roses, the Yorkist armies had marched from Norfolk and Gloucestershire via Oxford and Ferrybridge. The Lancastrians, though led by the Duke of Somerset, raised the bulk of their 25,000+ army from York and Tadcaster, those well-known Lancashire towns just north of Chorley and Accrington.

The Dukes of York and Lancaster, sons of previous kings, were Normans fighting for the throne of England.

Now since I'm neither a Norman nor a Royalist, it matters little to me what happened in a battle about 550 years ago. Hence the name Lancastrian is no more relevant or appropriate than Yorkist for someone from Yorkshire.

I'm a proud Lancashireman :!:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton
come up to date. Google Lanastrian A native or resident of Lancaster or Lancashire. You're spent too long in Yorkshire your a plastic Yorkshieman!(joking) 😜
SJ

Post by SJ »

The info you provided re the War of the Roses I found fascinating. I'm no historian but. You appear to be.and to be proud of your birth place I find endearing. A while back I had occasion to comment on "peterloo" and was asked for my sources. I couldn't illucidate but Knowing of your historical knowledge wondered if you could. The query concerned the name Gerard in relation to a lacal militia commanding troops from Ashton in Makerfield an area between Wigan Bolton and St Helens. It just came to mind so I must have recalled it from something I read etc.if you could assist I'll forgive you for being a plastic Yorkshieman. What do the Yorkshire women get called Lancastrian applies to both sexes😎
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

More idle info for you SJ.
A month ago Mrs B and I spent a week in rural Herefordshire. Our last night was spent in a b+b in a pub called and in Mortimers Cross near Leominster.
This was the scene of another serious battle in 1461 in the War of the Roses with some 2500 men on each side and again this battle was won by Yorkist forces who suffered minimal casualties but killed 80% of the Lancastrian forces.
The connection to Morleys story?
Among the survivors was the second in command of the Lancastrian forces the Earl of Wiltshire who escaped the slaughter only to be killed a few months later in the Battle of Towton.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.