O/T English Sport

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
jinkin jimmy

Re: O/T English Sport

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Welski posted:
DaveO posted:

And what happens when 300 kids "pass" the 11 plus one year for the 200 places and the year after only 150 make the grade?

I'll tell you what happens. 100 from the first example are denied the opportunity given to the 200 that did get in. They are even denied it compared to 50 kids who will get in the year after who didn't do as well as them in the exam because you can bet your bottom dollar the grammar school will not take a reduced intake.
Blimey no wonder they phased out Grammar schools with questions like that one!:(

Is the answer 42? :)
Dave's got this wrong. What happens is that the top 300 are taken every year. That way any changes in the difficulty of the exam from one year to the next are nullified. Though what it's got to do with rugby...... :doz:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Dave's got this wrong. What happens is that the top 300 are taken every year. That way any changes in the difficulty of the exam from one year to the next are nullified. Though what it's got to do with rugby...... :doz:
Given a schools intake is limited I can't see how that could work. It also does not address the issue of (some of) one years "top" pupils getting in and being of a lower standard than pupils excluded the previous year.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
Dave O posted
Grammar schools fail miserably in that regard.
Especially when you fail the 11+ :lol:

Poor thing!
From your two responses I can only assume you were not allowed to sit the thing in the first place.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

It's the only way to do it, Dave. One year you could find the top 300 go down as low as, say %80 as their exam result. Next year, they may be brighter or the exam may be easier but the top 300 may only go down to %90. No matter. In each year the school would always be taking the most able 300 kids. The kid who got 89% this year and missed out is not guaranteed to have got 89% the year before.
Bear

Post by Bear »

I think its Brilliant the number of Kids interested in sport these days, looking at how many teams there are not many Concide games as much as before
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Welski

Post by Welski »

Bear posted:
I think its Brilliant the number of Kids interested in sport these days, looking at how many teams there are not many Concide games as much as before
I agree Bear and the also of them were some time on one at together.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Welski posted:
Bear posted:
Is it me?

I can't understand either of these posts. :conf:
Welski

Post by Welski »

jinkin jimmy posted:
[b
Is it me?

Neither can I. :wink:
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
It's the only way to do it, Dave. One year you could find the top 300 go down as low as, say %80 as their exam result. Next year, they may be brighter or the exam may be easier but the top 300 may only go down to %90. No matter. In each year the school would always be taking the most able 300 kids. The kid who got 89% this year and missed out is not guaranteed to have got 89% the year before.
That isn't the point. The school has a finite capacity which limits how many kids they can take in any one year.

In my example that was 200 and if in one year we have 300 students reaching the standard required the fact they take the 200 most able of that lot is no compensation to those who miss out on a place as they are also able enough to benefit from the education on offer.

This becomes even more unfair when in the next year only 150 make the grade. They will still take the 200 most able but 50 of them will be less able than some denied a place the previous year.

The fact a pupil may not score 89% in two different years is not relevant as far as I can see because it is the number of places available and the number of kids of the required ability from one year to the next that is the problem.

Dave
Bear

Post by Bear »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Welski posted:
Bear posted:
Is it me?

And i can? :lol: :wink:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!