Chris Ashton Fans

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
medlocke

Re: Chris Ashton Fans

Post by medlocke »

Fraggle posted:
medlocke posted:
If you do not want people to copy your images, do not put them online where they are in the eye of the public!, grow up :roll:
Just because something's on the internet doesn't mean that copywrite laws no longer applies. If someone has taken photographs and displayed them on the internet, then they don't want people stealing them without at least giving them any credit for taking the picture. The same applies with any written article or anything else. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the way the internet works that images are downloaded and can be used by others. Some people make their images freely available. Others do not. I have to say I'm on the side of the "do nots". personally, and would respect the wishes of anyone who did not want their images reproducing.
That is all well and good, but people are just going to take without asking the majority of the time, if he is so bothered about people taking them i am sure there is a way of disabling people from right clicking on them, he knows there is a chance of people taking his pics so why not put his name across in photo shop using an opaque font. why make such a big deal :wink:
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

medlocke posted:
That is all well and good, but people are just going to take without asking the majority of the time, if he is so bothered about people taking them i am sure there is a way of disabling people from right clicking on them, he knows there is a chance of people taking his pics so why not put his name across in photo shop using an opaque font. why make such a big deal :wink:
I didn't make a big deal, all I asked is that people would ask before using my images. I don't put my name across the images because I don't like having my name across the image and I'm not against people using my images as long as they have asked me.

Saying I shouldn't post my images because I know they are going to get copied is like saying don't buy and car and it won't get stolen, or don't live in a house and it won't get robbed.

General rules of society seem to disappear on the internet but I'm not going to get into an argument about what is right or wrong.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I think it's more a case of the majority not being aware of copyright laws.
People may have used unknowingly, but such is the way of the WWW.
Take for example Rob's picture of Dobson kicking a goal. I must have seen this on about 4 different youtube clips.
And yes, before you ask, I'm as guilty as the rest when it comes to "borrowing" pics or music.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

medlocke posted:
Fraggle posted:
medlocke posted:
If you do not want people to copy your images, do not put them online where they are in the eye of the public!, grow up :roll:
Just because something's on the internet doesn't mean that copywrite laws no longer applies. If someone has taken photographs and displayed them on the internet, then they don't want people stealing them without at least giving them any credit for taking the picture. The same applies with any written article or anything else. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the way the internet works that images are downloaded and can be used by others. Some people make their images freely available. Others do not. I have to say I'm on the side of the "do nots". personally, and would respect the wishes of anyone who did not want their images reproducing.
The right-click thing is easy enough to bypass even if it is disabled, if you know what you're doing. But for commercial photographers, and even keen amateurs who might want to sell a few pictures, this kind of thing can be very costly. You need to advertise your work, but you don't want people to rip you off. Regrettably society's becoming more and more about what you can get for free without giving others' their credit.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Bear

Post by Bear »

pieater-alex posted:
medlocke posted:
Very true I have that chris ashton pic as my display picture on msn sometimes.
Yes Just Grow up you big woman :lol: Your like a child. Just dont put them online, i always use peoples pictures on here because the are good. No one else makes a big deal. :roll:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

i've just pinched it..... hope ya don't mind :)
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Bear posted:
Yes Just Grow up you big woman :lol: Your like a child. Just dont put them online, i always use peoples pictures on here because the are good. No one else makes a big deal. :roll:
This is part of the problem, people thinking they can do what they like. I like I said ealier other people need to grow up and learn that laws still apply on the internet. I am not making a big deal about this I just want people to ask before using my images because believe me I could make a very big deal out of it if I wanted to.

I am reasonable sure that the people who have copied my images are just using them either on msn/myspace or in the case of Chris Ashton Fans on their website how ever just to prove a point you might want to read over this link for future referance;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft
or perhaps if you want to be fussy this as well;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud
and for some extra reading;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_ ... ed_Kingdom

People asking for things is as far as I take which in is fairly reasonable but you can see how it could develop into something else.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

if you are not making a big deal, how come your still going on about it :ques: Let it go, it ain't healthy :wink:
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

medlocke posted:
if you are not making a big deal, how come your still going on about it :ques: Let it go, it ain't healthy :wink:
If you have read the thread you might notice it drifted slightly on to the rights and wrongs of taking images form the internet. Can't really say I'm too bothered about the images, the original topic was aimed at the people who made Chris Ashton Fans asking them to ask before reproducing my images elsewhere on the internet.

People decided to make an arguement out of it which does concern me abit because people usually argue when they need to justify things in their own mind, the more people argue about the more it makes me thing that people are having to justify taking something that does not belong to them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
This is part of the problem, people thinking they can do what they like. I like I said ealier other people need to grow up and learn that laws still apply on the internet. I am not making a big deal about this I just want people to ask before using my images because believe me I could make a very big deal out of it if I wanted to.
I bet you couldn't.

For a start you haven't suffered any material loss with these images so just what damages would you expect a court to award?

You would have to sue and it would cost you an arm and a leg to even try if you could get anyone to take the case. Justice in this sense is very much the prerogative of the very rich. Or are you very rich? :lol:

Despite legally you being in the right the practicalities and expense of you suing anyone for breach of copyright means if you don't want your images nicked, don't publish them on the Internet.

If a company nicked them you might get some form of compensation from them to avoid bad publicity as legal departments like to keep on the straight and narrow but if you think someone using an image of yours in a avatar, especially one made up of other publicly available images is grounds to sue over I think you are living in dreamland.

Dave