Chris Ashton Fans

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
ancientnloyal

Re: Chris Ashton Fans

Post by ancientnloyal »

Plus are the images protected by Copyright laws, been paid for?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ancientnloyal posted:
Plus are the images protected by Copyright laws, been paid for?
Actually, you don't need to pay anything to have it protected by copywrite. I've heard it said before that the easiest way is to put your photo, or song, or whatever it is you're wanting to protect, in an envelope, mail it to yourself recorded delivery so that there's a date clearly marked on the envelope, then don't open it. You're legally not allowed to tamper with the mail so that gives you some protection. Otherwise, with images you could impose a watermark on them, although that does kind of spoil the images themselves!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
AndyLaw

Post by AndyLaw »

Can we have another message board folder named "legal issues" where we can debate the finer points of our marvellous legal system? :D
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

DaveO you just presumed that I meant I was going to sue them, I did not though.

All I have been pointing out is that legally I have the right to ask for people to ask permission before using my images but yet everyone else seems to think that I am in the wrong even though they are.

I do agree that this is very minimal and I would never pursue legal action over one person using my images, although since this topic started a few people have admit to taking the images without permission and have also promoted criminal activity in encouraging people to copy images without asking.

There is plenty of reason behind me asking people to ask before using my images;
1) It is generally accept you ask before you take
2) It is a crime to take images and reproduce them without asking
3) There could be other legal issues attached to the images you would not know about.
4) If you ask you can use the image freely for what ever you want.
5) If people ask for images then I'm always around to make more images should they need them.
AndyLaw posted:
Can we have another message board folder named "legal issues" where we can debate the finer points of our marvellous legal system? :D
:D I'd be in my element then
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
DaveO you just presumed that I meant I was going to sue them, I did not though.
Well what sort of very big deal could you make then apart form that?
All I have been pointing out is that legally I have the right to ask for people to ask permission before using my images but yet everyone else seems to think that I am in the wrong even though they are.
You have but since I believe it is unenforceable for you to prevent them using them anyway despite the legal position it is a bit of a moot point.
I do agree that this is very minimal and I would never pursue legal action over one person using my images, although since this topic started a few people have admit to taking the images without permission and have also promoted criminal activity in encouraging people to copy images without asking.
Technically possibly (but not definitely) illegal but more discourteous IMO given the context.
There is plenty of reason behind me asking people to ask before using my images;
1) It is generally accept you ask before you take
2) It is a crime to take images and reproduce them without asking
It is a breach of copyright not murder! Given the fact they were posted to a public message board in a discussion forum I'd hazard a guess the legal position is far form clear anyway. A similar image to the image of Ashton with a chrimbo hat on with a Wigan crest for example could be done by someone else in all innocence as they are made up from freely available images.

I doubt anyone would consider your image an original image worth legal consideration anyway.
3) There could be other legal issues attached to the images you would not know about.
If so it would be a good idea to at least include a watermark copyright symbol or disclaimer saying the images are protected in some way.

Dave
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

If I were to enforce any rights over my image I would probably ignore civil law and look down the route of Criminal Law.

Could look at theft:

Actus Reus
Unauthorised taking, keeping or using of another's property. Something I have created and put on the internet is still my property just as an image hanging on my wall is, it is there for public display but does not mean that people can take it.

Mens Rea
Dishonesty and/or the intent to permanently deprive the owner or the person with rightful possession of that property or its use. Slightly harder to prove the mens rea but I would look at saying the person who copied had the intention of depriving me of the sole use of the image.

Could even possible stretch to fraud more complicated to prove because it would be a question of where not asking for permission was deception.

Like I have already said a few times, the image thing is trivial and I have never said I would actually use any legal action what so ever but used it to justify my reason for asking for permission before people copying my images. I have my reasons for asking for permission which are all reasonable and after all the law is the law no matter how trivia and insignificant it may be.

It is surprising though that people condone people downloading things off the internet without permission, this is whole thing is very insignificant but things like downloading songs and programs and even some images is taken far more seriously. Also for anyone who has said it is find to take things without asking, don't be a hypocrite and moan if some takes something from you without asking, you might not like it but after all you said it is fine for people to do so :conf:
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

By the way, has Chis Ashton give you permission to us his image and alter it by adding a hat and present :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

FROM A TO B posted:
By the way, has Chis Ashton give you permission to us his image and alter it by adding a hat and present :blush: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually no but I asked the Wigan site if I could use images for my work ages ago and they agreed. If Chris Ashton does have some problem with Christmas or Christmas hats I'll be happy yo remove the image.:wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What one web developer did when people linked to his photograph was to move the photo to a new file and put a very naughty picture in its place. :)
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

cpwigan posted:
What one web developer did when people linked to his photograph was to move the photo to a new file and put a very naughty picture in its place. :)
Thats when people leech images which is also very annoying I don't blame the guy if he did.