BBC Sports Personality

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
damien morrissey

Re: BBC Sports Personality...

Post by damien morrissey »

After watching that farce its no wonder Zara won it. I cant blame her for being the best in her field but it is hardly an individual award. Its no wonder she had no speech prepared except and the over frequent use of the word amazing. For results Taylor should have been crowned but they took one look at his attire and thought i dont think so. For achievement for me Clarke should of won to win with that sort of tragedy only a few months before.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

cpwigan posted:
My limited knowledge leads me to understand Dave that Equestrian Sport is virtually 75%+ down to the quality of horses. Everything goes into breeding them from specific lines etc. The riders simply need to be rich enough to be able to pursue the sport.
Not always true.
Take our pony. Didn't cost a great deal to buy, just a lot of hard work and determination to get her to where she is now (wife had a couple of 2nd placings in her first competative season).
By the way, the Pony's called Phoebe Bryn Riversider
And I'm sure MiThor, Linzi and Nine will back up that I aint posh :lol:
[/b][/i]
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Good stuff A to B but as you get to the very top it seems to be so does it not. I seem to recall at the Olympics all they talked about was the quality of the horses available to the teams etc.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Bear posted:
There was a few posts on english sport several weeks ago, i wouldnt think any one had done anything this year, Panesar looked favorite in my view. but lets face it noone realy diserved it. My opinion<<<<<<<<
Not even Joe Calzaghe. The guy has domintated British boxing for going on a decade now. Gave the super middleweight the Yanks proclaimed the best a lesson in boxing. Hes by far the best British boxer in 50 years. Not ducked anyone. Even the great Roy JonesJr ducked fighting him.

Problem is he is not on the BBC. And thats the farceical thing no one sport start will win the award unless BBC covers it.

Joe should have won the award but its now a joke on par with the Eurovision song contest.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I think in the end it probably comes down to the money.

The Eurovision is more about making money than awarding talent and perhaps Sports Personality is going that way to. People have already pointed out that many of the top riders are upper class and have a lot of money behind them. The People who win the main award are usually from the most popular sport of the moment and although there may be genuine achievers in that sport the people do not always win the award for that achievement.

I think Flintoff won it last year, yes Flintoff achieved a lot but would he have won or even nominated if there wasn't such a fuss about cricket at the time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
I think Flintoff won it last year, yes Flintoff achieved a lot but would he have won or even nominated if there wasn't such a fuss about cricket at the time.
At least he has a bit of personality - what the award is supposed to be about. His antics after the ashes probably got him as many votes as anything to do with the playing the game.

Dave
dawbz

Post by dawbz »

I said well done to a saints fan on sunday evening and could not believe the response i got, instead of saying thanks he replied with "Wigan will never do what Saints have done" i just looked at him and said "We already have".
This guy was about 55 but i guess he believes rugby league only started when super league came along.
After all these years of living in St Helens i should have known better to congratulate them, oh well such is life.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I don't think that St Helens had much competition for team of the year this year not disrespect to Saints, Sussex and the Ryder Cup team but if any England side had done well they would have won it same goes if a Football side had won the Champions League or the double/treble.

Wigan won the award against Manchester United after they won the Premier League and FA Cup in 1994.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

adrenalinxx posted:
I don't think that St Helens had much competition for team of the year this year not disrespect to Saints, Sussex and the Ryder Cup team but if any England side had done well they would have won it same goes if a Football side had won the Champions League or the double/treble.

Wigan won the award against Manchester United after they won the Premier League and FA Cup in 1994.
Wigan didn't win it outright though. Wasn't it a joint award with the rowing team?