New Years Honours Sport

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

New Years Honours Sport

Post by cpwigan »

Knighthoods
Keith Mills, chief executive London 2012, services to sport, Bidborough, Kent
Craig Reedie, lately chair, British Olympic Association, services to sport, Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire

KBEs
Sebastian Coe, chair London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic bid team, services to sport, Surrey

CBEs
Simon Clegg, chief executive British Olympic Association, services to sport, Farnham, Surrey
Alan Mills, Wimbledon Tennis Championship referee, services to sport, Weybridge
Richard Palmer, technical director, for services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, Teddington, Middlesex

OBEs
Clare Connor, captain, England Women's Cricket Team, services to cricket, Hove, East Sussex
Duncan Fletcher, England cricket coach, services to cricket, London
David Graveney, chairman of selectors, England and Wales Cricket Board, services to cricket, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol
Alan Hinkes, mountaineer, services to sport, Richmond, North Yorkshire
Michael Lee, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, London
Philip Neale, tour manager England and Wales Cricket Board, services to cricket, Worcester
Michael Power, lately chief operating officer London 2012, services to sport, Ascot, Berks
Catharina Reynolds, Grade A Olympic Games Unit, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Wokingham, Berks
Mike Ruddock, services to Welsh Rugby, Swansea
Michael Vaughan, England cricket captain, services to cricket, Sheffield, South Yorks

MBEs
Jonathan Armstrong, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, London
Ian Bell, services to cricket, Birmingham, West Mids
Clyde Best, services to football and the community in Bermuda
Julie Anne Mary Bradshaw, services to swimming and charity, Loughborough, Leics
Paul Collingwood, services to cricket, Iveston Village, Durham
Andrew Flintoff, services to cricket, Manchester
Ashley Giles, services to cricket, Worcester
Stephen Harmison, services to cricket, Ashington, Northumberland
Patricia Hindley, Grade C Olympic Games Unit, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, Woodford Green, Essex
Matthew Hoggard, services to cricket, Baildon, West Yorks
Geraint Jones, services to cricket, Canterbury
Simon Jones, services to cricket, Llanelli
Eileen Kear, athlete and coach, services to sport, Abingdon, Oxon
Medha Laud, manager, international teams administration, England and Wales Cricket Board, services to cricket, London
Giles Long, paralympic swimmer, services to disabled sport, London
Ethel Lowry, services to swimming in the north west of England, Warrington
David Magliano, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, London
Aileen McGlynn, cyclist, services to disabled sport, Glasgow
Lawrie McMenemy, honorary manager Parliamentary Football Club, services to sport and charity, Braishfield, Hants
Sydney Parkinson, physiotherapist, Barnoldswick Town, services to football, Colne, Lancs
Kevin Pietersen, services to cricket, Southampton
Nicholas Piper, director British Boxing Board of Control, services to sport, Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan
Robert Platt, president Bann Rowing Club, services to sport in Northern Ireland, Portstewart, Londonderry
Ms Ayesha Qureshi, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, London
Harold Sharpe, head coach, special needs unit gymnasts, services to disabled sport
Ruth Small, services to disabled sport, Sevenoaks
Andrew Strauss, services to cricket, London
Richard Sumray, chair London 2012 Forum, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid
Marcus Trescothick, services to cricket, Taunton
John Whiteley, services to Rugby League and the community in Hull and East Yorks, Hull
Neil Wood, services to the London 2012 Olympic bid, London
Rachel Yankey, footballer, Arsenal Ladies Football Club and England, services to sport, London

cpwigan

Re: New Years Honours Sport

Post by cpwigan »

I hate the way awards are given in this country. Why, how do we award a whole team of failures :( They are currently in the process of :blush: the whole nation and we give them lifetime awards :o

Far too many awards are now given too early in the careers of sportsmen/women.

Glad JWhiteley got an award. A lifetime of effort and achievement.
Antwigan

Re: New Years Honours Spor...

Post by Antwigan »

The following taken from http://www.rlhalloffame.org.uk/my_hall.htm
Chris Park says "Johnny Whiteley must surely be worthy of consideration for the RL Hall of Fame, having been chosen for three World Cup Squads as a player, as well as coaching one more; one full Tour as a player and Coach of the last Ashes winning Great Britain side to date (1970 Tour.) From memory, I think John captained Hull to two Challenge Cup Finals and two Championship Finals, won 17 Great Britain caps and was never once sent off in all of his career which spanned something like 13 years. John always was, and still remains, a tremendous enthusiast for Rugby League, is a great ambassador for the sport"

Ian Glover says "As a loose or second row forward John Whiteley was a better player and had a more distinguished rugby league career than either Vince Karalius or Derek Turner, who are remembered more these days. He was bigger, more talented and versatile and much faster and far cleverer than they were, and they were both marvellous players by any standard. Hull's Steve Norton was also a world class loose forward but Hull fans who never saw Whiteley and who rate Norton higher are simply wrong. 'Gentleman John' Whiteley is and was a modest man, but his playing and coaching and community service record is awesome. He was the most dangerous attacking rugby forward of either code that I have seen, because of his great skill, vision and speed, allied to an incredible work rate and a 6'2"" 16 stone frame - and ball-handling ability that was way off the scale of normal ability. He was a great general and leader on the pitch and very unselfish, making far more tries for his team mates than the remarkable 156 that he scored himself. Had he played for Wigan in that team's golden era of the decade around 1990 he would have made Ellery Hanley, brilliant as he undoubtedly was, look small and slow! He was also the last person to be in charge of a British side that won a Test series against Australia. He should have been one of the first six or seven players to be in the Hall of Fame."

A reportedly great game was the world cup final in 1970 when Johnny Whiteley was now the coach. The match was a slugfest and 'watched by millions' on TV.
Click the following link to read it's well worth it,http://www.eraofthebiff.com/mm04.html
Campions of the rugby world.
Antwigan

Post by Antwigan »

But then again Flintoff deserves his too...
Campions of the rugby world.
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

They give em to everyone a havent heard of hardly any of em'

Steven Gerrard??? :lol:
CherryandWhiteandProud

They give em to everyone a havent heard of hardly any of em'

Steven Gerrard??? :lol:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

cpwigan posted:
Far too many awards are now given too early in the careers of sportsmen/women.
That's something I definitely agree with. The likes of Flintoff, Gerard and the rest can get their awards once they've retired. And perhaps they can also wait until then before writing their books as well. The number of "My Story, part 3" books from current sports stars who are only about 24 years old is ridiculous. I know it's all driven by money and the publishers' expectations that people hang off every word these people (or moreover, their ghost writers) say, but recent sales have shown that people are getting bored of reading these things.

Also, why so many awards for people involved in the Olympics? 2012 is a long way away yet...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
CherryandWhiteandProud

Fraggle said
The number of "My Story, part 3" books from current sports stars who are only about 24 years old is ridiculous.
Mi Atobografy, bi wane roony, age 19.

Well, thirst i wuz born or summat, but i cant remember mutch so ill tell u i wuz brought up in an a place in liverpool called Croxteth,and me and me 2 bros went to De La somthin' Cafolic skwl. I loved Everton and i alwes war a shirt sayin' "Once a blue always a blue" and i played 4 dem for juniors and dey even brought me to da prem, and made me, in some ppl's werds, an "overpaid fat fool". Den i fort i could break the "Once a blue always a blue" pomise 4 25 miliion pounds, so i went i plyed 4 some bloke called mr fergosoon and he gave me lots of money. I plyed for england and messed up euro by brekin me ankle and the werld cup be standid un sum guys naughty bits (but thats ronaldina ballerinas fault)
so i went home to my girlyfriend and was happi 2 find coleen had spent the spare cash blockin the tolit, and overflowing out of the safe, and piling up in the cubburd, and den errrrrrr.......

:D