Re: Warriors unveil squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John M

Morley-Not so good

Post by John M »

Yeah,i agree Fraggle.I think Morley is certainly a good player but by no means a fantastic natural world class player.He has no real skil as far as RL goes,he uses his aggresion and hard play to make him stand out from the rest.Hes a bit like Gorden Tallis but not as good IMO.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
scrumdown

2003 WARRIORS SQUAD

Post by scrumdown »

I agree with some of the previous messages,Wilde seems to have had a raw deal this season he was one of Wigans best players in the first half of the season.
He was in the 17 most weeks until the origin matches,played in the second,in the shadow GB side for the aussie game,in the train on squad for the GB -NZ games yet picked for very few squads in the second half of the season.

I feel we need to add a flying winger and a big go forward prop to the squad or it will be a long hard season.
AJ

winger n prop??

Post by AJ »

why do we need a winger and prop, we already have the fastest winger in the league and he never gets the bloody ball, and if its speed carney also has that in abundance, and youd find it hard to find to wingers who give more guts, pride and passion in the game than those two

we arent short in the prop department either, oconnor, sculthorpe and bibey along with craig smith who granted didnt have the best 2002, but in aus was the best prop in game, so he gotta be worth 2003 + he broke sean longs jaw, so he gotta be a starter for me

What we do need - is a monster centre and a monester second rower, both of whom run like demons onto the ball and are quick and strong
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
Bilko

re: squad

Post by Bilko »

A winger shouldn't be our priority in terms of signings. We have Carney, Dallas and Ainscough plus the utility of Briscoe has cover.

I agree with AJ. The Centres is where we look light. 2nd Row maybe as well but I have faith in Tickle. Despite having experience he is only 19 which is two years younger than Ste Wild. He needs time and patience.

The youngster I'm looking forward to seeing most is loose forward Dave Allen. He produced a superb performance in our 62-10 Under 17s Grand Final win over Hull and the club must think highly of him to give him a squad place having just turned 17. Could this lad be the next Andy Farrell? We shall see.
Bilko

re: Wild

Post by Bilko »

Wild didn't get a raw deal. My understanding was that he suffered a bad knee injury and had to sit out most of the second half of the season, only returning late on with a couple appearances for the under 19s. I saw him play for the academy at Orrell against Bradford and his knee was heavily strapped. He scored a try but he got up gingerly from it and you could tell he wasn't 100% fit.
scrumdown

STEPHEN WILD

Post by scrumdown »

THE REASON WILD GOT THE INJURY WAS THAT HE WAS NOT BEING PICKED FOR THE FIRST TEAM AND DROPPED THE UNDER 19'S TEAM.

HE GOT THE INJURY IN THEUNDER 19'S GAME AT LEEDS , PLAYED BEFORE THE FIRST TEAM GAME AT LEEDS
DaveO

Re: Wildes raw deal

Post by DaveO »

Bilko, I don't think Wilde got a raw deal in terms of lack of starts at the end of the season because I know he was injured.

Where he did get a raw deal in my opinion was in not getting Furners no. 12 jersey. Before his injury he was playing very well involved with the full (as opposed to A team) GB squad and deserved the jersey for his pre-injury form.

By giving it to Tickle it sends the message the club think he is better than Wilde and that if you get injured you are likely to be forgotten.

Wilde is a second row, Tickle is a loose forward so to my mind the logical thing to do would be play Wilde at 12 and Tickle off the bench as a utility back row forward.

Dave
Linzi

Wild

Post by Linzi »

I totally agree DaveO. Stephen does seem to have been left out in the cold. I was expecting Ste to get the number 12 shirt but no it went to Danny Tickle, who hasnt been at the club 5 minutes. Will Ste be pushed out like another second rower this year? I bloody well hope not. He is Wigan born and bred and has been playing for Wigan for years.