Rads at Loose Forward!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Rads at Loose Forward!

Post by Mike »

Denis Betts and Gary Conolly have come up with a supprise selection for the Tigers - Kris Rad at loose forward? Apparently, because Kris has been taking a lot of the kicking responsibility and he supports the forwards a lot he is ideal for the job.

I'm not so sure. Is he big enough? Is running through holes created by good offloads/busted tackles/little kicks the same as creating those gaps? Won't we be loosing a good attacking option? Surely Mark Smith or Gareth Hock would be better choices?

On the other hand, Bryn Hargreaves has flu and is out, Kevin Brown is still not available and Harrison Hansen has a cut head - so we are having to call up Paul Prescott and Bob Beswick, indicating a severe shortage of players. Perhaps Betts is trying to get as many senior personel on the field at once.

I guess we could switch back of it doesn't work, with Kris back to full back, Connolly to centre, Wild to second row and Hock to LF??? :doz: :conf: :eh:

Full team is: Connolly, Dallas, Aspinwall, Wild, Carney, O'Loughlin, Robinson, Farrell, Newton, Cassidy, Tickle, Hock, Radlinski. Subs: M Smith, Prescott, Hodgson, Beswick.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Welski

Re: Rads at Loose Forward!

Post by Welski »

Not ideal but should still be good enough particularly at home. Lets just hope it doesnt interrupt his recent good form as it did when he was made skipper. Also should be good for GC to get a full game somewhere on the park. From the games I've seen he still looks to be finding his feet back in the squad.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I would have thought, as Mike suggested, we played Hock at loose forward and possibly Mark Smith at scrum half had Robbo not come back. It's a lot of changes to an on-form team which could disrupt things. I thought with the injuries we have incurred we'd be best keeping all that is good in the team the same.
Welski

Post by Welski »

to limit the changes might also have made life a little easier for young Luke....he is going to be under enough pressure as it is. But who can argue with the presnet Coach of the Month!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Hm I suppose we'll see what happens tonight, it's probably the only match we could get away with trying it in though (no offence Cas!)
I suppose we need versatile players but Kris is by far the best full back in super league, well I hope it comes off for us anyway and rads doesn't get injured. :( Curse of the forwards.

As for Mr Hargreaves (who was behind me in his car other day when i was going to hopical eek!) if Farrell can play on with a broken nose he can play with flu. I've had flu all this week and woke up with an eye infection this morning and I kept saying "Nope, i won't take more than 1 day off work, Faz didn't :P" He's my inspiration now :roll:
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I played at school with radders when he donned the number 13 jersey and he was just, if not more as effective as when he played centre which was then considered his best position. PS I was full back in that team!!!!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think my worries were justified based on Kris' match tonight. He didn't get involved in the game and at times didn't lok like he knew where he should be. Kris never lets anyone down, but I don't think loose forward is a good position for him to be playing in.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Have to agree Mike. Hardly noticed him on the pitch tonight. Hope to see him back giving one of masterclasses in full back play next game.

Pleased Newton got man of the match. Deserved it just for that offload for Dallas' penultimate try. Anyone seen a better hooker at Wigan?

Despite 4 tries, still don't think Dallas gets enough ball and that we should still be looking for a world class centre. Very pleased that it looks like he will be staying. As he took a pay cut for this season, the terms should be easy to agree and if he can keep his cheekbones in tact will continue to be agreta player for us.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Alex the Warrior posted:
Despite 4 tries, still don't think Dallas gets enough ball and that we should still be looking for a world class centre. Very pleased that it looks like he will be staying. As he took a pay cut for this season, the terms should be easy to agree and if he can keep his cheekbones in tact will continue to be agreta player for us.
He needs to be fed more kicks over the top when the opposition full-back is out of position, this is something our kickers need to look for more. He can just romp home between the sticks and give Faz the easy task of converting.
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I all think you are bieng a bit harsh ! Its not rads fault he was put at LF and maybe he didnt know what he was doing but to be fair if i got a choice of bieng moved to LF or be on the bench i would want to stay on the team! Who wouldnt? and i dont even think betts would put the team like that if he didnt have faith in rads ! I agree that the postion he was put in is not the one he shines in but in the current circumstances i think we should just trust denis and when we go to the matches back rads up help him out and iam sure it will give him a boost! Please try and lay off him!
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!