Ashton’s one on one

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Ashton’s one on one

Post by thegimble »

For the 1st try Calderwood was not on the wing he was covering the full back spot
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

Post by x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x »

And that makes what difference?
'Sexy Mark' On The Shirt.. Get Innn!

'WAG' In ze making!

Staying up, Staying up, Staying up!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,
We're by FAR the greatest team,
The world has ever seen =]
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Withers will hopefuly shepherd the lad into strengthening his weak points, personally I dont think he has many weak points. A great young talent who can only get better.
turf

Post by turf »

An absolutely SPOT on assessment on Ashton. I know we are not criticising him, but as someone has said on one of the other posts on Ashton, lets just get behind him.

Why has someone said about Whither sheperding Ashton? The lad is 19, all right, no 19 year old can cope on a rugby pitch on his own and he does need sheperding, but not completely.

I suppose sheperding Ashton means just telling him when he gets over zelous (sorry about spelling) with some of his tackles, like (as someone has already suggested) he was on Friday.

I don't think he was at ALL over zelous (sorry about spelling again) with his tackles on Friday, I think that they were geenrally good, fair, solid tackles.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

ashton needs to improve his line defencebut his one on one and support play is excellent for a kid of his age
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

waterside glens posted:
ashton needs to improve his line defence
Its a good job he doesn't play in the defensive line then isn't it!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

Ashton has a very good solid tackle. I especially like the way he wraps the ball in the tackle. Doesnt give the opposition player chance to offload. He will just keep getting better as he picks up experience. I remember his first game when he played at Huddersfield away the last game of the season the year before last, 17 year old scoring two not bad!

British full back in about two years :)
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Flash posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
I must admit I only saw one major one on one from where I was sat (In a very bad spot) and yes he made the tackle but I must stand by what I said he was shakey and lucky, it was very evident to see he has problems in this area. This is not a criticism but an observation.
I'll just translate this from WW speak for all those not used to his posts.

Translation: I once questioned this aspect of his defence and despite being offered much evidence to the contrary by numerous posters (IIRC we came up with at least 7 examples where he saved tries using this technique last season!) I refused to accept the evidence. Twice last night I was again proved wrong and so thought it best to post that I thought he was lucky. :roll:

Funny how you consistently refuse to accept the evidence placed in front of you. BTW are you still convinced we will be relegated? :D
And now I will translate: (Flash) I’m always right and no one else must question anything I say or disagree, if you do I will attack you with sarcastic remarks.
O and by the way if you mention Lockers in anything other than a fantastic light then I will use the utmost sarcasm.

Come on accept other peoples opinions.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The main area of Ashtons game that i feel must be improved is his positioning. I feel he is always 1 step or 2 behind were he should be. This however will come with time. He is certainly still one of the most promising players i have seen in the wigan jersey along with hock. At the moment however he is 19 which means he will make mistakes and they will be down to lack of experience but you just gotta hope that when he does make mistakes he will learn from them.

I thought he had an ok game on friday in a team that failed to shine. He didn't do anything amazing but didn't do anything rubbish either. The only thing i thought he did wrong was when that bomb kick went up and he was no-where near it.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
turf

Post by turf »

What is his line defence? the only thing that I can think of is being in the one line of defence with the rest of the players.

If he is there, then he can't possibly cover full back as well, unless he can use his pace and soon track back if he had to.

As someone has said before most 19 year olds would not have a solitary CLUE what support play is. That aspect of Ashton's game has improved from last year.

One question always has me thinking though, and that is, do you think he was shy last year, in terms of supporting the ball carrier, and running at defences?

No doubt about it though, I have no other qualms about Ashton's confidence. He is the most confident 19 year old kid that I think that I have EVER seen.

Don't worry, he (as has been mentioned) is only 19, so there is PLENTY of time for him to learn from mistakes. After all, it's not just him we are singling out for that motto.

More or less all of us (even referees - consistantly) make mistakes.