Kicking duties

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

Re: Kicking duties

Post by adrenalinxx »

Panchitta Marra posted:
Chris Ashton was just about hitting the uprights on most kick off's last season making it difficult for the oppostion to catch the ball. With this accuracy and distance acheived, why isnt he taking the goal kicks.
There could be loads of reasons why Ashton is taking kicks at goal;

- Richard was better than Ashton in training
- Noble doesn't want to put more pressure on Ashton
- Ashton might not be able to adapt his technique to kicking form other areas of the pitch.
- Noble thinks Richards is better at kicking than Ashton
- Ashton just isn't very good at kicking goals.

Ashton has shown that he is good at taking kick-offs but that doesn't mean he will be good a goal kicking, Barrett is one of the best and most accurate in-field kickers in the world but has never kicked a goal in his career.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Welski posted:
ancientnloyal posted:
Alsdo, you have to acknowledge that Richards isnt a natural kicker and that he has the guts to stand up in front of thousands of people and attempt the kicks. In a way that isnt his fault that he misses... he obviously treis hard in training to learn the art of kicking but as long as we dont have a recognised kicker, we have to get behind whoever takes the duties because obviously confidence is shattered when they have a bad miss.
I still fail to see how difficult place kicking is made to look in League. It's the one area of our great game that could be improved by coppying 'the other code'!

How any professional can fail to even reach the posts with an attempt is beyond me.

It will cost us dearly this year.
Sorry to disagree with you, but the kicking in Union is no better than League. I would have bet on Frano Botica and Andy Farrel against any Union kicker and that includes Johny Wilkinson. In all essence Union kicking should be far better than league, lets face it, that is all they seem to do whilst getting massive plaudits for the act.
We do need a succesful kicker and I dont think Pat Richards is the answer for alot of reasons. Maybe this should have been properly addressed in the off season.
Out with the Kick & clap brigade.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

adrenalinxx posted:
Panchitta Marra posted:
Chris Ashton was just about hitting the uprights on most kick off's last season making it difficult for the oppostion to catch the ball. With this accuracy and distance acheived, why isnt he taking the goal kicks.
There could be loads of reasons why Ashton is taking kicks at goal;

- Richard was better than Ashton in training
- Noble doesn't want to put more pressure on Ashton
- Ashton might not be able to adapt his technique to kicking form other areas of the pitch.
- Noble thinks Richards is better at kicking than Ashton
- Ashton just isn't very good at kicking goals.

Ashton has shown that he is good at taking kick-offs but that doesn't mean he will be good a goal kicking, Barrett is one of the best and most accurate in-field kickers in the world but has never kicked a goal in his career.
Point taken and understood.
It just seems a petty that Chris apears to have the accuracy and distance to be able to acheive this. As you say, being a young lad this could put undue pressure on his game.
Personally, I do not rate Pat Richards as a player. He let the team down on more than one occassion last season, and the trend seems to be continuing into this season on the strength of last Fridays game.
For the sake of Wigan, Pat needs to concentrate on his game of playing rugby league, and taking the kicks is maybe preventing this.
Thanks,
Mike.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Panchitta Marra posted:
Welski posted:
ancientnloyal posted:
Alsdo, you have to acknowledge that Richards isnt a natural kicker and that he has the guts to stand up in front of thousands of people and attempt the kicks. In a way that isnt his fault that he misses... he obviously treis hard in training to learn the art of kicking but as long as we dont have a recognised kicker, we have to get behind whoever takes the duties because obviously confidence is shattered when they have a bad miss.
I still fail to see how difficult place kicking is made to look in League. It's the one area of our great game that could be improved by coppying 'the other code'!

How any professional can fail to even reach the posts with an attempt is beyond me.

It will cost us dearly this year.
Sorry to disagree with you, but the kicking in Union is no better than League. I would have bet on Frano Botica and Andy Farrel against any Union kicker and that includes Johny Wilkinson. In all essence Union kicking should be far better than league, lets face it, that is all they seem to do whilst getting massive plaudits for the act.
We do need a succesful kicker and I dont think Pat Richards is the answer for alot of reasons. Maybe this should have been properly addressed in the off season.
Out with the Kick & clap brigade.
What we see mainly in union is international's not domestic. Most international stadiums have high terraces and therefore the wind element is minamised compared to the JJB and other domesic stadiums in either code.

Thats why Dobson was so special he hit around 90% bet Wilkinson is under that in the Premiership.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

dobson was the best kicker i have seen either code.It was a shock when he missed even from the touchline
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

waterside glens posted:
dobson was the best kicker i have seen either code.It was a shock when he missed even from the touchline
Yes i remeber the one he missed. :o

Needed medication for the shock